Swap flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Swap flies

Dble Haul
05-31-2005, 02:36 PM
So, how are all the swap flies we tied this winter fishing? :)

Quentin
05-31-2005, 06:23 PM
I've tried most of them for at least a few casts but haven't really given them a complete workout. The results so far: a few rock bass on a couple of the crayfish flies, no largemouths or smallmouths. No success with the pike flies yet but I've only been pike fishing a couple times very early in the season. Several carp on berry flies and brown woolly buggers and one hit on John's bead head woolly bugger (right before I lost it :frown: ). No carp on any of the other carp flies yet, but I did catch a few rock bass, blue gills and crappies on natrix's sparrow variant :biggrin: .

It looks as though I'll be able to conduct some extensive testing over the next few weeks. Additional results will be posted as they become available :D .

Q

Adrian
06-01-2005, 08:14 AM
I haven't given the carp flies work-out yet but they are in my local pond in good numbers so maybe this will be the year. :D

Quentin
06-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Went out tonight and caught a few nice largemouths on the perch colored diver I got from CDG in the crayfish swap :smokin:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=19871

Q

FrenchCreek
06-28-2005, 04:34 PM
We have nothing but rain!, Deluges & floods....
But, I did manage to get a few days of pike fishing in last week and with the water levels up by as much as 2-3 feet in the reservoirs, it is like fishing a new area, natural lakes (like Gull) are up by as much as 6-8 inches. Amazing that the amount of water has caused such a change in the lakes.
So I got to try out the new flies with the Wooly Bully (bright Pink) catching more fish than any other fly from the swap. Best fish so far is a 38 incher on the pink beast! Other notable one is the perch looking fly, (bucktail and saddle hackle with a pretied wire leader), I only have one of the two left, the first one has been destroyed by multiple piker attacks!
Not much luck yet with the yellow rabbit strip but they will work better in the fall for deeper presentations.

Dble Haul
06-29-2005, 07:49 AM
Great to hear, Pete! The Wooly Bully in either pink or chartruese was head and shoulders above any other flies we used on Lake Ontario a few months back. I plan to try them in the salt this year too.

Quentin
06-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Got a rock bass and bluegill on one of Mark's carp flies tonight. There were carp in the area but it was too dark for sight fishing so I just blind-casted for a while and got the panfish. I haven't really targeted carp for a few weeks because they were spawning and are very tough to catch when they're chasing each other around. Maybe there will be a good carpin' day this weekend :cool: .

Q