Looking for a river... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Looking for a river...

juro
05-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Near Cape Cod, freshwater preferred but salt OK. Need 100-120ft across and a good wading area on both sides of the river with some current. Depth only matters along the edge where people can wade comfortably and safely.

Fishing potential doesn't matter, this is for Spey casting classes near the south shore / cape area.

North River - seems narrow with deep banks. Is there a bend in the river somewhere with a shallow inside grade and some width across?

Bass River - possible location above rte 28 near highbank but tidally dependent.

Anyone familiar with the Blackstone R. (size)?

Thanks for your input.

juro
05-30-2005, 11:43 AM
Anyone familiar with this spot...

http://p.vtourist.com/1288598-Blackstone_River_and_Samuel_Slaters_Mill-Pawtucket.jpg

artb
05-31-2005, 05:37 AM
Juro,
I have fished the Palmer River for years, which turns into the Palmer at the Bridge over the Warren River in Warren, RI. , not only do you have back-casting room, you would also have an opportunity to catch striped bass. The place is called Grinnell Point. It is out on a saltmarsh with wadeable water. At the end of the point there is several rocks. you could line up students along the shore there is plenty of room, if I get a chance tomorrow, I could take an post a couple of pictures. Where else could you learn to sprey cast, and catch bass at the sametime? There is a couple of drainage ditches you have to cross. Most paces around you don't have backcast room. Most places that have a clear area along a river are raise five or six feet above the river. If it is of interest I will take a picture tomorrow of the area, and give directions on how to get there and where to park. :)

sean
05-31-2005, 07:58 AM
Yep it looks like I am moving to Rhode Island in the coming months and I saw this spot.

We are more than likely moving to Warren and I saw a few fly guys fishing this spot when we were checking out the town. Is a perfect place to spey cast and now that Art says catching bass on the swing can and will happen its gonna make the move much more bearable :)

-sean

FredA
05-31-2005, 08:21 AM
I've got a private little spot on the Bass River but I'm afraid the bar would only support one on one (hint hint) or maybe one on two for instruction. Waves of schoolies too on the running tide.

Nick
05-31-2005, 02:39 PM
Whoa there art!!! Glad to hear you're back in the game!!