Fly Fishing Forum banner

Southway?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Rip Ryder 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me any info about the area of the southway between E/D bouys. Are boats getting through there? Can you make it to the outside via the Southway. Do you have to go around the South Point to get out in front of the light, after putting in at Barn Hill Rd Ramp? Anyone been out there yet?

#4 ·
As of today.. it is closed, Sean is correct,.... except to say that each day it is closing more... Boaters need to know that it's over...unless they dredge.... My opinon is that all our summer fishing...meaningful fishing that is..will be on North Monomoy and off the surf at south beach... Once the south way closes...the bouys will be removed, There...I said it...( Speaking with Chatham who's Who on the subject today)

#7 ·
Southway continued....Amy and I did some exploring today, walked well beyond the point after J but not all the way to the Southway(stopped around E). We can tell you where that sand went.....right along E to J......the finger flats above the point near J are now just mainly typical flats.....the point at J now extends 1/2 way to Monomoy in a semi circle.......as there is next to no current, one can walk almost 1/2 way to Monomoy if one wants at low. We noticed that the SB flats that remain, do not get as covered as they had the past few years at high......water is also deeper from K to the first point to the right of Keith drop off. Really thought that we were fishing a new place.
I'm not as experienced as John, but I agree with him....given the closing of the Southway and next to no current on SB.......it would appear that things do not bode well for SB flats come July and August....water will be very warm.
As for fishing, as we were hungry to sight fish, we committed to the flats....a mistake......fish are not as of yet up on the flats, only at the drop/holes/edges. Once we couldn't reach those areas, our fishing was over. No signs of bluefish yet.....many fish available in the 12 to 20 range....nothing larger today.
Yet, what better a way to spend a day!!!! An early Father's Day present! :D

#8 ·
striblue said:
Hey Juro.. I am at CAC ....call anytime tonight... I will be at the Rip Ryder tomorrow at 8....
I noticed you changed your cell phone (again). I am starting to think you are involved with the witness protection program :)

Called the CAC 10 times, no ans. Did you change that again too? PM me if you did.

#10 ·
Southway conditions

Here is the skinny and I do mean Skinny.

You can make it through on 2hrs either side of low on a normal tide. My guess at this point would be close to 3 hours on the moon tides. The clammers have told me they are adding 1 hour on to the Stage Harbor tide chart to get the tide for the Southway and the enterance.
I have been making it through with 15 people on the Parker no problem. Going on plane seemsto be better than slow and trimmed up. Harbor master has put in 3 trawl buoys color orange with radar reflectors on top. **** Caution*** the trawl buoy at the tip of South Beach goes under water on the incoming and there is no drag of water over the buoy to show you where it is submerged. I have been hugging the beach coming and going to avoid ruining my props on it.

Boat owners, please don't make yourself look like a jackass by fishing in the area. We are all having a hard enough time getting through there as it is. Yet, some idiots find it ok to anchor up between the special buoys to catch all the fish using the same channel we have to use to get in and out. And if you come across this, don't slow down for them or you will pay the price and hit bottom and most likely break something. Some people just don't know how to use their heads.

Good luck, and your on your own as far as getting in and out of there in the fog!

Capt Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.