Andros [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Andros

JohnM
05-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Just got back from Andros...stayed at AIBC. Basic accomodations but folks where very friendly and helpful. No-see-ums and mosquitoes where brutal !! Caught lots of fish ranging from 3lbs to 10lbs. Had some good guides except for 1 independent guide who was easily the worst guide I have ever had in my life. He found fish, but he was arrogant, sarcastic, almost to the point of being abusive. It seemed like every fish was a "fire drill" and a life or death situation. He even spoke badly about the previous days clients !! When he made mistakes with handling the boat or scaring fish with the push pole, he blamed it on us ! Needless to say, he will never get our business again....the sad part is that someone (who I don't know well) recommended him.....Oh well, live and learn...Overall, it was a fun trip....

John

juro
05-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the report John, bugs sound like they were coming on strong but it still beats the heck out of sitting around here freezing and getting soaked!

I hear from the locals that bugs are less of a problem early in the year. In fact during March the only nuisance bugs were those inside our cottage, it was pleasant outside in short sleeves except for a brief period around dusk.

10# - that's a nice bone brutha.

teflon_jones
05-26-2005, 02:19 PM
The no-see-ums ate me alive when I was there in Dec. My wife and I quickly learned not to go outside at dusk. Even 9000% Deet bug spray didn't really help!

I can't imagine a 10 lb bone! That's a darn big fish! I caught an 8 lb'er and I thought I was going to have a cow!

Vince
05-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Sounds like a great trip to me. Some big bones too!

I often travel to the Bahamas in the winter months (jan, feb, & march), and I feel there are fewer bugs, but they still are there. With the no-see-ums, wind is a big factor. If it's windy out, they are not a problem. If it's calm, watch out. Just wear long pants and long sleeves--pants especially--they love the legs--lower to the ground and less wind. Also, dawn and dusk they are out the most-especially when calm.

I also believe that the more you are exposed to the no-see-ums, the less they affect you. They really don't bother me at all now--I feel the bite, but there is no itching or red mark anymore. Maybe the body builds up an immunity to them after a while. Good excuse to keep going back.

Still, the bugs are a small price to pay for the fishing! Just cover up as much as possible when they are out and use bug spray on all exposed areas-which should only be the backs of your hands and head/neck.

mdbones
05-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Just returned from Andros as well stayed down the road @ Tranquility Hill. We were blessed by fishing with the finest group of guides that I have been exposed to over the last five years - Ivan, Dwight, Deon, Barry, Ray, and Eddie were all exceptional.

We were there from the 18th through the 22nd. The first three days were windy which kept the no seeums and skeeters at Bay (not the doctor flies though) but on Saturday the wind died and the noseeums were so thick they were dining on the insides of our lungs. Still caught plenty of fish including some nice ones and saw plenty more.

Let me guess the name of that guide...Glister. You either love him or hate him. Great guide but very demanding.

Mike

JohnM
05-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Hey Mike,

Naw....not him. This was an independant guide who somehow got recommended to us. It was Dennis Leadon. In my eyes, I don't care how many fish a guide puts me on, I care about him respecting me and working hard for me. I want them to be good at the things they can control...Their attitude, their knowledge of the area, fish habits, their personality/patience, coaching and their boat handling. Fish and weather are things a guide cannot control but can make the best of.......He was just plan aweful at the things he could control. I cannot find one good thing to say about him other than he was very good at being very bad......

John

mdbones
05-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Agree with all of your points - no reason to subject yourself to that especially in an area that features 25 to 30 world class guides.

That could be a whole new topic..worst guides. I would submit Bonefish Ebbie in Bimini. 6 foot 4 320 pounds and his favorite tactic is to fire up the boat blaze across a an 18 inch flat, circle the boat and then ask you to fish the "mud" that he just created!

Mike

JohnM
05-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Mike, the (2) 10 lbers I caught and slew of 4-6 lbers I caught in one day with a guide named Ricardo who was awesome......He was perfect in the things he could control, and just happened to pull into an area that had 4 big schools and numerous single "monsters" swimming around for 4 hours....He was tops in my book, not for the fish but for everything else....

bonehead
05-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a great trip. Say, let's see some pics of those big bones. Love all that chrome!

mdbones
05-26-2005, 06:54 PM
I assume that that was Ricardo Mackey that you were fishing with. I would agree with your assesment. As a matter of fact I requested him for our group but he switched out at the last moment (I assumed he got a better of offer from one of the clubs on Cargill Creek). Now that I think about it - he might have backed out to fish with your group!

On a side note: I can tell you that he cracked the hull on his boat last Thursday or Friday and he and his client had to grab a ride back with one of our group after he beached his skiff. From what I understand he was able to repair the boat and tow it back to Cargill creek.

Mike

JohnM
05-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Mike,

I forgot to get his last name but do have his phone number !! We had a rod manufacturer in our group who tipped him with a bunch of rods and I gave him 2 fly boxes full of flies....Nothing like having him on retainer !!!

He had me rolling with his jokes and singing ! I missed a fish because I broke out laughing while trying to strip the line......

Just a great guy........

John

josko
05-27-2005, 05:26 AM
Interesting. I used to call my favorite guide (Brad Mackey) 'Bonefish Nazi' 'cause he was so critical of my casting and fishing skills. (I did ask him for coaching help). Eventually somnething 'clicked' and we became a great team as well as lifetime friends. I think Glister Wallace is in the same category.

By the way, what's the status of that lodge (Bonefish Simon's???) across the creek from AIBC?

Count
05-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Great report, and thanks for the post, JohnM. Tranquility Hill is definitely on my list of must-fish lodges due to the guiding talent there.

Sorry to hear about the arrogant guide. It's funny how some make this sport out to be much more difficult than it really is. They seem to lose sight of the fact that we fish primarily for enjoyment, and the enjoyment diminishes when it becomes work.

Count

JR SPEY
05-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Over the years I've probably fished a dozen days with Dennis. He can be a little tough to deal with in the boat, but he is an outstanding guide none-the-less. I know there are people who just can't stand being with someone of that personality in the boat. Dennis will get you more large bonefish than many of the rest of the guides, and he knows the tarpon fishing on the West side better than anyone else I've fished with down there. Though I haven't fished with him, Glister is often considered the best young guide on the entire island (young compared to Charlie Smith, Rupert Leadon, and Charlie Neymour.) Ricardo is in that class, too, although he's another one that can get on your case if your casting sucks. The Eddie mentioned was probably Eddie Rolle. He and I have fished probably about twenty days together and he is the best guy down there for someone who doesn't want to be criticized or "blamed" for things. He is an outstanding guide and has the most incredible disposition. He just went independent this year, and I don't doubt he'll soon be as hard to book as Glister and Ricardo. Andros is probably second only to the Keys for the number of high quality guides available. I could easily name two dozen or more that I wouldn't ever mind spending a day with in the boat.

mdbones
05-27-2005, 09:45 AM
One thing that I have learned in coordinating the annual trip for twelve of my buddies over the last 5 years is that matching guides to personalities is critical.

Case in point: I fished with Glister 2 years ago and had a great day. I personally enjoy being "coached" by guides and have no problem with a guide that gives specific direction and gets on my ass after he has poled 800 yards into and across the wind to put me in position to take a shot at a big fish. If I blow the shot I have no problem with him chewing on my rump as we both had a vested interest in that fish.

Others view the guides role in an entirely different manner. I put my Brother and law and another friend with Glister and they described it as the worst eight hours of their lives. They went so far as to indicate that they would rather wade the next day instead of fishing with Glister. The soulution: I got to fish with Glister the next two days - not a bad compromise!

I would agree with you on Bradley - I can still clearly recall the argument that we had around that damn hatch that squeaks on the front deck of his boat. Good guide but no where in the same class as lets say Bonefish Rudy (rest his soul), or Glister when it comes to giving specific direction.

Mike

JohnM
05-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Josko,

I had some time to spend over at the "other" lodge. They seem to be really focusing their operation towards diving. They just hired a 21 year old gal from South Africa to help manage the operation. She seems to have all of the tools (except experience) to do a nice job. She was very personable and had a great personality......The rooms at that lodge seemed much nicer and updated. There was also a pool and a pretty neat club house with large screen TV, bar and tying area.....

John

JR SPEY
05-27-2005, 04:13 PM
I think the lodge referred to by josko is the one across the creek from AIBC. When I was at AIBC in March the rumor was that they had no septic system so there was no way they could bring in clients until they solved that dilemma. JohnM is correct in that the old Cargill Creek Lodge has been returned to a diving format. I thought the gal hired to run it was from Brazil, but perhaps we're thinking of two different people. The rooms are definitely nicer on that side, but the kitchen, dining room, and tiki bar all made the old Bonefish Club side more attractive to me.

By the way, on the post about no-see-ums, it has been my experience that DEET products are all but useless on them. There is a new product called Picaridin that supposedly is much more effective against them. I haven't tried it yet, but those who have seem pleased. It also supposedly does not effect fly lines and waders.

josko
05-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Does Glister still offer that deal where if you can cast further than he can, the trip's free? :)

I think something went wrong with Simon Bain's 'little empire'. The lodge (across the creek from AIBC) is not working, the Gatti fly shop is gone, and the gas station is run by someone else. Anybody know what happened?

JohnM
05-27-2005, 04:50 PM
Sorry guys, got confused...the "lodge" across the river (if we are talking about the same place) has been refurbished and all of the buildings painted. It appeared though that people where living in the buildings as there seemed to be island music and gospel music being played very loud all night......Seemed very odd.....Also, saw an ad at Adros Airport for Simon Bain for bonefishing guiding in Nassau and in Andros and that he would trailer to where ever you where.....

mdbones
05-27-2005, 05:28 PM
I heard that Simon and his Brother had a falling out over the cottages. Simon is living in Nassau and still guides occasionally in the Cargill Creek area (on request). I hope whatever the reason - he eventually makes it back he was a solid guy and one of the best guides in the area (IMHO). I heard that he is taking the occasional charter in Nassau on the S. Side flats of NP. Seems to me that that is an area that you could get away with 500.00 charters as long as the wind was right.

Mike