Hitting the Cape flats on Sunday [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hitting the Cape flats on Sunday

teflon_jones
05-26-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm going to try to hit some flats on the Cape on Sunday for some stripers and I was wondering if anybody else is planning on going. The weather will at least be warm, even if it's kind of rainy. Hopefully the wind won't be too crazy either! It'll be my first time flats fishing for stripers and I really have no idea where to go, but hopefully somebody can help me out!

P.S. It's my b-day Sunday so my wife can't complain about me fishing for as long as I want! :D

juro
05-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Happy b-day

it does look like the best day of the bunch in terms of ambient light for the flats, but I would think you'd do better to concentrate on structure, bait and water temps than go for a flats day just yet.

Fish are all over the place down there so you should have great luck. Just put on a good looking fly and keep it in play, you should have a lot of action.

teflon_jones
05-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the tip Juro. I'm not even sure where to go though! I'm really a freshwater guy. Anybody want to PM me a parking lot/fishing location out on the Cape?

JimW
05-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Here's a good place to start. http://www.monomoyislandferry.com/Directions.htm Often there's a bunch of guys that meet to take the 8am boat. Parking at the lighthouse and fishing before the 8am shuttle is quite popular but this being a big tourist weekend I'd be out of there early to avoid a ticket.

striblue
05-26-2005, 02:33 PM
I will probably fish on Sunday..but not the flats. :smokin:

flydoc
05-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Ditto for me...I'm meeting up with MarkS and his Dad coming down from their place in Eastham...should be a full boat out to South Beach....hope the weather forecast holds/improves...
Doc Shep ;)

Utahstriper
05-26-2005, 09:27 PM
I agree the flats will probably not produce many fish for another few weeks. I would look for the warmest water and you will find fish. Last Friday I consistently caught fish on the ocean and inside from SB to the Tub(mostly micros).

Chris