Best way to inscribe? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Best way to inscribe?

dirtycamprunner
05-23-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm having a hard time inscribing a graphite rod. I've built several others for myself, but this is for a young man, and I want it to look good. Every method--rolling ball markers, pen and ink--seem to leave to wide a letter. Seems like since the ink can't be absorbed it just puddles on the surface. The result is wide letters. How do I get nice thin letters? I do abrade the surface with wet sandpaper first, but still no luck. All help would be appreciated.

t_richerzhagen
05-24-2005, 11:15 PM
To Bob Meiser, a sponsor and a professional rod builder. He will know how to do it right.

dirtycamprunner
05-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Thanks! I contacted Bob Meiser, and he clued me in. Will try it out tomorrow.

Nooksack Mac
06-02-2005, 02:11 AM
I've never found a pen point, even the Extra Fine designations, that would write as fine a line as I see rod inscriptions produced routinely. However, a long time ago I found a way to produce a very fine line inscription. I used a sharp point bodkin (a large, sharp needle should also work) and carefully wrote/dug the script lettering into the surface of the graphite blank, then wiped away the dust. Of course, you have to write slowly and carefully, as there's no erasing mistakes.
Then I smeared gold paint into the lettering, with the little brush in the bottlecap, and immediately swiped away the excess with a rag. The script lines stood out nicely, gold-filled. Then, of course, I covered it with rod finish. It still looks good over twenty years later.

baldmountain
06-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks! I contacted Bob Meiser, and he clued me in. Will try it out tomorrow.

Can you tell the rest of us?