Giant Trevally [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Giant Trevally

speydoc
05-22-2005, 12:03 PM
I will be fishing for GTs for the first time in Feb06 and would apreciate any coments on rods ( I am taking 9' #10 & 12s and maybe a 13' # 10/11 or 12/13) backing (300y 50lb gelspun?) leaders (20lb ?flourocarbon) shock tippets (?60lb flourocarbon ??wire) and flies (?poppers ?clousers ?deceivers ??hook sizes and recomended brands)
I guess I cannot just fish for steelhead & chinook - all advise would be appreciated!
speydoc

petevicar
05-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Hi Speydoc
The GT that I caught in the Seychelles in March (there is a thread somewhere) was about 80lbs.
I used an Orvis T3 9ft 11wt rod and Tibor Gulfstream reel with a floating line and a 4/0 brown and white deceiver. The leader was basiucally a 16lb Mason tarpon leader tied coventionally with 2 biminis with 60lb shock tippet. It was in fact my normal set up for tarpon.
I used 30lb backing and the fly was tied on a Gamakatsu SL12 hook.
I have heard that GTs will take most flies when they are hungry.
I have noticed that it seems normal for a GT to follow the fly and then turn away. If you can then get the fly to it again it will jump on it.
The sort of need to be teased into taking but when they take it is explosive.
I have only caught a few but they are probably the most agressive fish I have come across.

Where are you off to?

Pete

speydoc
05-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Pete
Thanks for the info - I will also be going to the Seychelles. A friend is making the arrangements, so I am currantly not sure which island/s we will be fishing.
speydoc

FLGator
05-23-2005, 03:39 PM
I recommend you check out the TFO TiCr X 9' 12 wt 4 pc. It's just the ticket for what you are looking to do.

Make certain you are using bullet proof hooks (i.e. Owner Aki, Trey Combs' big game etc.) on what ever fly you choose.

Chris