SB update [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: SB update

CSJ60
05-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Arrive at 7:40, no boat service today. Bumped into a couple of guys fly fishing but not on the FFF.

Lost count on the number of fish landed, would guess well over 60 fish landed and three keepers, 2 @ 30" and one @ 33".

Fish are on the move. After the top of the tide non stop action for two hours. Standing on the flats I had wave after wave of fish right in front of me (don't wade too deep). Even with the wind howling it was easy to spot the large pods over the sand.

The tub is loaded with small fish, I did land one fish @ 25".

Craig

jimS
05-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Craig, awesome! See ya soon. I'll be in Chathma beginning Saturday.

Paxton
05-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Craig....what a difference 5 days make this time of year.....last week, the fish were only on the edges. Congrats on the great day and braving the elements!!! Hopefully the weather pattern will change and our 2 months of April will end.
Ron

Stevo
05-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Stop... I can hardly contain myself. :Eyecrazy:

Hopefully, by early June, the place will be 'loaded' with fish - when we arrive!

juro
05-22-2005, 06:22 PM
We watched wave after wave pass on the south side heading toward the elbow when the sun popped out... Stevo, it's sure thing the way things are shaping up. The next few weeks are going to be amazing.

desmobob
05-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Great news! Thanks for the report, Craig.

I'm struggling through my last week at work and will leave late Friday night for the drive to the Cape. My buddy and I should be on the beach fishing by 6 a.m. Saturday morning; the first of 13 days of fishing vacation. :D

Don't give those fish too much of an education before we get there....

jamie
05-23-2005, 06:14 AM
Hey Craig, Sounds like you had a cracking day. I have been told that it usually does not matter what you chuck at the fish this time of year. But it would sure build my confidence knowing I was casting some fish catchers. :lildevl:

What were you throwing at them? :confused:

Massflyfishing
05-23-2005, 06:42 AM
i brought my g/f to the tub yesterday afternoon (sunday) to try to get her hooked on fly fishing. great success! after about the 3rd striper we ended up fishing for more than 5 hours. after every fish she said " just one more" which ended up being at least 7 more fish. not that i'm complaigning! her funniest comment was i can't stop fishing, this is sort of like gambling, i want to catch a bigger striper!

Stevo
05-23-2005, 07:51 AM
her funniest comment was i can't stop fishing, this is sort of like gambling, i want to catch a bigger striper!

Yep, she's hooked. :smokin:
You've now got another problem... Kitting her out with her own gear! :chuckle:

jamie
05-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Yep, she's hooked. :smokin:
You've now got another problem... Kitting her out with her own gear! :chuckle:No - give her your old gear and buy shiny new stuff, factoring in a serious upgrade :smokin:

Stevo
05-23-2005, 11:38 AM
No - give her your old gear and buy shiny new stuff, factoring in a serious upgrade :smokin:

Niceee! :D

CSJ60
05-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Hey Jamie,

Here you go... sand eel is 5" and the fly I used on Saturday. I flatten the barbs on all my hooks... hooks are Gamakatsu, SC15 size 1/0 on the sand eel and SL12S size 2 on the clousers.

jamie
05-24-2005, 04:36 AM
Nice flies Craig, thanks for showing them.

FishHawk
05-24-2005, 05:00 AM
Craig no pink in the flies? :chuckle: Nice ties .
FishHawk

Guernseybass
05-24-2005, 07:54 AM
nice flies Craig - those Real Eyes are 'da bomb' as you chaps say.

much easier to tye with ( and neater) than the lead eyes we have here, I will be definately picking up a few more packs when i'm over. :wink:

I have tied my eels up in olive, tan, gold, brown and white and so i hope i have all bases covered.

Mark.

CSJ60
05-24-2005, 08:13 AM
FishHawk...no pink but there is a little lavender.

juro
05-24-2005, 08:37 AM
That top fly looks a little familiar. :lildevl:

Stevo
05-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Wot, no chartreuse! :eek:

CSJ60
05-25-2005, 09:22 PM
JimS,

Looking forward to your arrival, I have a fine bottle of Scotch that needs to be opened and sampled.

Craig

FishHawk
05-26-2005, 06:58 AM
Craig looking forward to the Scotch. :lildevl:
FishHawk

CSJ60
05-26-2005, 07:36 AM
FishHawk,

Don't forget your glass... can't fish this weekend but will see you June 5-10. We can make a toast to all the big fish that didn't get away. :chuckle:

FishHawk
05-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Sounds good. :D FishHawk

teflon_jones
05-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Anybody want to help me out with a location to catch some of these fish this weekend? :D I have no idea where to go on the Cape! My fishing has been limited to the Canal and the Bass River area so far.

jimS
05-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Craig & Bill, thanks for the headsup. Definitely want to fish with both of you guys. I'll have my little boy, Chris, with me, and it sounds like we have the right tides and be damned the weather. I think I will be on-line, but in case I'm not, here is my cell - 814.671.1768.

One of my buddies from Long Island, fishing Hardings, said last night that Gannets were on bait out about 100 yards. Didn't know what they were attacking, but we surmise squid, macks or herring. Looks like the cows may be in the mix.

See ya soon.

juro
05-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Gannets were there in force last weekend, my guess is all of the above including the tinker macs since a few were caught on the sound and beach sides by anglers. Squid have been there, and it's herring time as well. If this keeps up the big fish blitzes as they arrive should be nothing short of stellar.

juro
05-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Anybody want to help me out with a location to catch some of these fish this weekend? :D I have no idea where to go on the Cape! My fishing has been limited to the Canal and the Bass River area so far.

Teflon -

At this time of year just find water and you'll have a good shot at fish.

The stretch from Bass River toward Chatham along the short jetties (hop from one to the next) as well as both sides of South Beach, Nauset beach if you have your surf game in order and it's about time the bayside filled up with fish as well.

If the wind is out of the north, the shoreline from Bass River east to hardings is pleasant and productive.

If out of the south, south beach is nice casting for righties or explore the bayside but don't get caught by the big tides up there.

A scenic and productive area is the beach around the Chatham Lighthouse. Fish the pockets where the winter dug out holes and keep moving, you'll catch plenty of fish.

teflon_jones
05-27-2005, 08:07 AM
Juro, thanks very much! I'll be posting a report when I get back!

EDIT: Well, I've got a reservation on the 8 am ferry out to Monomy so we'll see what happens!!!