Flys to use in the Kalma river? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flys to use in the Kalma river?

bapmthe1
05-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Hi, I'm new to fly fishing and I'm going steelhead fishing in the kalama this weekend and I don't what flys to use can you gys help me. :(

juro
05-18-2005, 06:39 PM
An easy way to go is to fish an olive marabou wooly bugger in the Kalama. Put a couple of strands of crystal flash in the tail. I'll have to share a funny story about that pattern and the strange power it has over Kalama fish sometime.

bapmthe1
05-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the advice I'm only 14 and I've just started fly fishing and fly tying I'll tie a few up thank again.

fishhawk1400
05-20-2005, 04:51 PM
sharp steelie :chuckle:

Todd Ripley
05-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Unless you're lucky enough to run into the Sharpster, who could guide you into 11 42" steelhead, you might want to consider bringing a shovel so that you can dig yourself a hole to fish in...I suspect it is going to be very, very muddy this weekend!

If you have the flexibility, wait until Wednesday, or Thursday...it ought to be fishing well then.

Fish on...

Todd

speyman
05-20-2005, 06:29 PM
http://www.isomedia.com/homes/celestev/ia/contents/media/kalama.jpg

Here is a 'Spey style' treatment of the original Mooch Abrams pattern

bapmthe1
05-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice I'm not that flexible so I'll rent a bulldozer :hihi:
And I'll tie up a couple of the kalma specials thanks for everthing gys. :)

Gillie
05-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Speyman,

Could I impose for the pattern on that fly ? I think I can figure out most of it but it's always good to ask. It looks very cool and has just then right color combination for some of my favorite rivers.

Gillie

speyman
05-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Hook – Alec Jackson Spey, Black
Thread – Pearsall’s Gossamer #11a, Scarlet
Tag and Underlayment – Flat Silver Tinsel
Tail – Topping from Golden Pheasant Crest, Dyed Red
Spey Hackle – Natural Gadwall
Rib – Oval Silver Tinsel, 3/0-1.5 M, 3-5 S
Body –Ronn Lucas iridescent Dubbing,Yellow
Collar – Gadwall, Dyed Yellow
Wing – Bronze Mallard
Topping - Golden Pheasant Crest, Dyed Red

Step by step directions are available in the patterns, Northwest Spey Style section on www.irishangler.com

Go0d tying and fishing!