bait report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: bait report

BigDave
05-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Fished Fri-Sun around The Elbow. Great conditions - overcast with very little wind in the AM. Fog till about noon yesterday. Lots of dinky fish with a few around 25"-28" pushing through in waves.

As the fog burned off yesterday the visibility improved and I noticed lots of bait moving around on the early incoming. Large schools of 3-4 inch sand eels and smaller schools of 4 inch silversides. The terns had noticed them as well. Also spotted some black-backed gulls harassing large squid (10") in the backwater. Caught a 20" shad that gave me a few good jumps on the way out yesterday.

Things appear to be coming together. Hopefully some bigger bass and bluefish will have infiltrated the area by next weekend.

Paxton
05-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the update Dave. Hoping to go tomorrow and Wednesday weather permitting. Nice to know that the stripers are in the surf...didn't see any signs about 8 days ago. Bluefish are usually in the tub around the 15th...but obviously a bit late this year.
Ron

Stevo
05-18-2005, 06:02 AM
Will the Shad still be around in June and if so where is the most likely place to find them?

Adrian
05-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Stevo - there will be plenty of "poor man's Tarpon" for you guys in June.

They are often found mixed up with the Stripahs - but there are one or two places they hold in good numbers.

I should be on the Cape the week-end you arrive and I'll be happy to show you one of my favorite night fishing spots.