need advice on spey line purchase?? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: need advice on spey line purchase??

chromefinder
05-09-2005, 03:23 PM
I just purchased a new Redington Redfly 12'6'' 7/8 wt Spey rod and need advise on which line to buy. I will be using this set up on the Catt & Salmon River, NY for steelhead and the Susquehanna river in PA for smallmouth. I'd really like to purchase the Rio Windcutter 7/8/9 tips verison but feel $150 is more than I want to spend.
Does anyone know of a reasonablly priced spey line out ther for this rod that I'd be able to make work with with tips?

Dornblaser
05-09-2005, 05:48 PM
While I am unfamiliar with your spey rod I can address your spey line question in part. Unfortunately, good spey lines are not inexpensive. May I suggest that you consider a good floating spey line and using poly-leaders when needed instead of a multi-tip line?

David Dornblaser

removed_by_request
05-09-2005, 06:47 PM
poly leaders do not get down like 15' type 8 or 15' of t-14 does.

Dornblaser
05-09-2005, 09:05 PM
poly leaders do not get down like 15' type 8 or 15' of t-14 does.

That's true. But, it's a price-performance trade-off. I was trying to make a suggestion that works in his percevied budget.

David Dornblaser

juro
05-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Buying a Spey floater is a good option nonetheless because you can cut 15ft off the front, add loops to make it whole again (using connectors).

Then get some sinking material from an old 30ft shooting head (type IV) and cut that 13ft x 17ft, looping the halves on instead of the original floating tip when needed. One is heavier than the other for deep water.

There is an explanation of making tip systems in the "Expertise" section of the main Flyfishing Forum Site (see links).

If you are nervous about cutting a new line, start out with a used one - they often pop up in the classifieds. Once you see how effective it is, you'll end up buying a new one the second time around.

Charlie
05-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Having fished the Salmon and especially the Catt on a regular basis, I have never needed 15' of type 8 or T14. (Canít talk about the Susquehanna, never fished it). The most I have ever used is about 10' of T14. The floating Windcutter 7/8/9 can handle this. You may have trouble casting this if you are a beginner, but no more than if you use the 15ft type 8 on the interchangeable tip version. The full floating line is much easier to learn how to cast and as Juro stated, you can cut it up later and install your own loops. Then purchase the tip upgrades separately or get some T14 if you decide you need them.

Charlie.

P.S. I have played with the Redfly 12'6'' 7/8 wt. and the Windcutter 7/8/9 worked well on it.

removed_by_request
05-10-2005, 02:20 PM
best thing he could do is bite the bullet, call Aaron (River Run Anglers) and order the 7/8/9 WC with tips. in the long run it will be less headache and money spent.

when you buy it cheap you buy it twice has always been my motto.

BTW 10' of t-14 weighs more than a type 8 7/8/9 15' sink tip. the longer tip will allow for a better swing.

10' of t-14 = 140 grains

15' type 8 = 129 grains

Rob Estlund
05-10-2005, 02:33 PM
MJYP is right. Especially after you factor in the cost of the different sizes of polyleaders. The windcutter with tips is a great line. So are the airflo counterparts -- though I haven't fished them as much.

peter-s-c
05-10-2005, 03:17 PM
I just purchased a new Redington Redfly 12'6'' 7/8 wt Spey rod and need advise on which line to buy. I will be using this set up on the Catt & Salmon River, NY for steelhead and the Susquehanna river in PA for smallmouth. I'd really like to purchase the Rio Windcutter 7/8/9 tips verison but feel $150 is more than I want to spend.
Does anyone know of a reasonablly priced spey line out ther for this rod that I'd be able to make work with with tips?

Having fished both those rivers, I would not recommend the Windcutter floater for them unless you were prepared to do some line surgery and cut it back then make or buy your own tips for it. Much of the casting on those rivers will be in the shorter ranges (under 60') so you might want to consider one of two approaches.

Buy a Windcutter 8/9/10 and toss Tip 2 in a drawer, fishing the tips directly off of the belly. I use this sort of configuration on my Loop 7116 (only with the 7/8/9 line as the rod is a 7 wt.) and it works very nicely at shorter distances plus it will shoot a fair ways if you have to.

Alternately, get the 7/8 Airflo Delta tips version-- no tip 2 but it will cast nicer at shorter distances vs. the Windcutter 7/8/9 yet can still go for long distance if need be.

peter-s-c
05-11-2005, 07:43 AM
One other point, the Delta floaters do a decent job of turning over Polyleaders without the need to cut them back.

Dornblaser
05-11-2005, 08:01 AM
Peter,

Are you suggesting/saying that the Delta lines are better at making short casts than are the WC lines?

David

peter-s-c
05-11-2005, 08:35 AM
Yes.

Been there, done that.

Rob Estlund
05-11-2005, 12:45 PM
FWIW -- This year Rio changed the tip of the floating tip to have better turnover at shorter distances. I believe this was done to be more like the Airflo. I like it so far, but haven't fished windcutters much this year.

peter-s-c
05-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks for mentioning that Rob. I haven't yet had a chance to see how the new Windcutters perform vs. the Airflo Deltas. Do you know of any way for a buyer to know if he is getting an old vs. new taper when picking one off of a store shelf?

Youngpatawan
05-11-2005, 08:18 PM
I would definatley go with the rio windcutter 7/8/9 it's a great lineto begin with or even the SA Spey to aswell. I wouldn't start out with a skagit line because with the head being so short you may have a tendencey of developing bad habits in your casting.

MJC
05-12-2005, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't start out with a skagit line because with the head being so short you may have a tendencey of developing bad habits in your casting.

Bad habits in casting what? It wasn't all that long ago that people were making this very same statement in regards to the WC. A person may very well start casting with a Skagit type line, learn to use it to his/her satisfaction and never feel the need to go to anything longer.

jasonk
05-12-2005, 02:29 PM
i would recomend any of the short head spey lines for that rod (either the rio WC, sa short head, or airflo short delta). a full dry line cut bac for tips would be the most economical choice, and in my opinion would preform as well or better than a multi tip line.

removed_by_request
05-12-2005, 06:31 PM
price out the cost of the dry line and a full array of tips (type 3,6, and8) one time.

also factor in the learning curve for loop making, considering he is a newbie, the multi tip line is a bargin.

last thing I wanyed to do at the beginning of all this was to slice and dice a brand new $70 some odd dollar line.

subscribe to the KISS theory when starting.

Dornblaser
05-13-2005, 05:51 AM
last thing I wanyed to do at the beginning of all this was to slice and dice a brand new $70 some odd dollar line

I do not the same budget constraints and I do not feel comfortable slicing and dicing fly lines. With all the new rods and lines and the increasing standardization in the spey niche I suspect that I will never have to slice and dice in my spey career.

David Dornblaser

removed_by_request
05-13-2005, 09:42 PM
never say never on the slice and dice.

you may just want 25 to 32' line that can throw 20' of t-14. custom lines are pretty neat, as are the guideline heads(have to cut the g-lines to match your rods).

stonefly1013
05-13-2005, 10:00 PM
hi i am new and got some good news orvis has your spey line for your rod in there sale room cost 39.00 for floating only . here is some other good new that you may be able to help me with i got a t - 14 cutting chart and was wondering if it was the correct weight for the big man here in michigan along with the muskegon . here is the chart 6 wt=15feet@210 grains@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@. the guy who gave it to me said wip the ends of the line and the t-14 with (g) size tying thread to form a loop hope this helps

good luck and tight lines stoney....... :smokin:

removed_by_request
05-13-2005, 10:20 PM
t-14

14 grains per foot
10 feet equal 140gr
20 feet equal 280gr
etc.....

stonefly1013
05-13-2005, 10:28 PM
should have said . is the length in feet right for those rod weights ?

thanks again and tight lines stoney1013............. :smokin:

Rob Estlund
05-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks for mentioning that Rob. I haven't yet had a chance to see how the new Windcutters perform vs. the Airflo Deltas. Do you know of any way for a buyer to know if he is getting an old vs. new taper when picking one off of a store shelf?

I do not know of a way to tell the difference while in the box. Out of the box, I believe you can see the difference. Since these have been around for over a year (I believe), you could probably be safe assuming that you're getting the new ones. Especially from outfits like this site's sponsors who typically move more speylines than the average shop.