Pike are on..........it's time [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Pike are on..........it's time

h2o
05-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Got out this afternoon for some river Pike. Found them packed up like wolves at the mouth of a trib munching on schools of baitfish at edge of the mouth herding them up against the steep banks of the river and wacking them including topwater ger'plops.

Fished a couple hours and released 4 missed a few my pal also got 2 and lost a couple . Nice afternoon, hadn't got any Northerns since last summer /fall so it was sweet even though we did not get any of the large ones that call that river home.

Most were in the upper 20 inch range but, healthy fish (not hammer handles) with stout meaty body's to match their big jaws............which was refreshing to see and they faught well today in the spring sun. Used 30 # maxima I did not get cut off but my pal did on a decent Northern..............so I went back to the bite guard.

Had one 14" Smallies slam the 5 -6 " 3/0 pike fly..............those smallies are something he tried to beat the crap out of the 9 wt and 30 pound test the best he could before finally giving in (grin)

Hot fly was a 3/0 bent back with med. lead eyes tied Clouser bent back style with a long gold flash a bou.................flash tail (25 strands or so). Bucktail ........brown over tan over white, mimics suckers and walleye fairly well.

BTW I am pleased with the SA Mastery Pike tapers.

Spring is here................go get them boys while the get'in is good.

Dble Haul
05-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Glad to hear that your pike action has picked up. It should be peaking very soon. :)

FrenchCreek
05-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Opening day yesterday. Local lake produced over 30 fish, one at about 10 Lbs. a bakers dozen in the 24-26 inch range with the rest being smaller shakers. Best fly was a red & white variant of Mark's Woolly B, tied with rabiit strip instead of feather tails and the classic JD's R&W. Water temp still cool at 51F, should get better when the water warms up to mid 60's.
Looks like the season will be much better than last year!

Dble Haul
05-10-2005, 10:47 AM
:cool: :cool: :cool: