5/6 Windy Elbow Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 5/6 Windy Elbow Report

Paxton
05-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Met Bill (FishHawk) promptly ay 7:30 in the Lighthouse parking lot. We headed for the tub and into fish right away. By 11:00, Bill had 20, including 1 in the mid 20's, I got 11, including a 23" and one keeper. Fish in the 20 range were dark, liced and incredibly fat for this time of the year. Wind and cold picked up and Bill made a great suggestion....Squire's for coffee, chowda and burgers! Best catches of the day. I was able to pick up 99.9 and at 7 a.m. on the way down and the "weather forecast" was "sunny till noon, then partly cloudy and then most cloudy by 3 p.m. then chance of showers (no forecast for wind)".....well, we never saw sun!!!! What happened to Don Kent???? He was always on the mark. Who ever took his place, needs to look out the window before getting on the air!!!
Anyway.....the tub became a horror with the wind....Bill headed for Bridge Street, I headed for the Stage Harbor inlet (hoping for protection)...NOT, wind now at least 25 mph....put on fast sinking line to make casting semi-possible, and picked up 7 more, one at 25 inches, as the rip formed.
Bill got his fish on his famed "tootie fruity", me, on a white over white 1/2 and 1/2 (just to honor Keith's white sluggo :D ). Then I switched to a modified Ray's fly(uses silver flex cord, frayed 2 inches behind the hook)...got the keepa on it as well as the 25.
Most interesting part of the day was at the tub and at Morris point....watching gulls diving for and ripping apart 8 to 9 inch squid....yes, I said squid...saw a carcus of one at Morris that one clumsy gull had dropped. Have never seen that before. :whoa:
All and all......a great early season day!!!! We beat the rains of this weekend, but not the wind. Will be heading back sometime mid week. In the mean time....batten down the hatches!
Ron
PS: Most of the schoolies were in the 14 to 18 inch range, only a few twinkies mixed in.

doogue
05-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Great report.

That is making me itchy for a ride to the Elbow.

Thanks,

Mike

bonefishmon
05-07-2005, 10:42 AM
First report from the elbow! Long drive to fish only a portion of the day but you hit paydirt and it makes it all worthwhile. I was wondering all week how a Friday trip to Morris Island would pan out and now I'm sorry I stayed home. See you at the Clave if I can get there!

Phil

juro
05-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the report Ron -

I have some business on the cape which might warrant a quick run down this weekend although plans for tomorrow (Mothers Day) might foil that :lildevl:

Been hearing good reports on the grapevine for over a week now, bright fish but mostly small. They are pushing hard toward the north and we have huge tides this weekend which should stir things up even more.

The promising part of this is all the squid! It might be a big squid year... and if not for spawning delay you know there would be cows on the beach right now. My hope is that the squid activity extends to the arrival of post-spawn adults and we see some epic action that is most often more isolated to parts of Nantucket Sound on most years. Who knows, we'll see as things progress.

The big "scouts" should be around next week, the week after or maybe even today!

Sean - Your timing for a visit from Seattle next week is spot on.

Our Annual Spring Clave timing is perfect as well.

BTW - the smaller cherry trees have just started to pop a few blooms outside my office. I would have to say it's right on time again this year. By the time the old thick trunked cherries bloom around town we are going to be up to our wader belts in fresh arrivals.

FishHawk
05-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Well it was good to break in the new Winston and feel the tug of a fish. New we were going to have a great day when on the second cast I got the first fish of 05.
The best part is we had the Tub all to ourselves. My big fish was fresh for her travels covered with lice. Everyfish I caught had lice on them. Great time with fishing with Paxton . By the was Bridge Street had no wind. Something to remember next time if howling in the Tub. Caught two small fish at Bridge Street but if we were there earlier I sure there were plenty of fish around. FishHawk :D

striblue
05-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the report guys... good news. I was down this weekend to sit in on the FF Classes at Orvis before I run them, but the class was cancelled so I took my daughter into Chatham center to look for a summer job and she landed a couple to choose from. Did not even venture out...built a fire and watched "Nation Treasure" a couple time. Next weekend I will down late on Saturday and will fish on Sunday...then two day Class on Monday and Tuesday.. Hope the weather is calmer.

Stevo
05-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Sounds good guys... What is/does a "tootie fruity" look like and will they work in June?

FishHawk
05-08-2005, 06:53 PM
I am going to present them to you at the Cocktail Party. They work better in the Spring . However, I've done well with the fly in June. It's a Chartreuese & White Clouser with Pink. It's used for Albies in North Carolina. FishHawk :smokin:

Stevo
05-08-2005, 07:39 PM
It's a Chartreuese & White Clouser with Pink.

Sounds interesting. Where, in the fly, does the pink (bucktail)? sit.

FishHawk
05-09-2005, 05:27 AM
It's an added layer under the Chartreause wing. Sort of a lateral line. Nothing fancy but I am convinced that the bright pink attracts the schoolies . If you look at the bait there is a hint of pink hue to the skin. FishHawk :smokin:

Penguin
05-09-2005, 08:46 AM
On a tip from the Roopmeister after his mid-Atlantic adventure...
Here are a few TuttieFruitie interpretations that I tied up for my own Carolina trip...
(they actually did vaguely resemble the scared baitfish hiding in the shadow under the boat)
I now use these left-overs locally to dredge up Spring schoolies...
Mini-stripes are generally not a great challenge to convince...
A little flash goes a long way and the bite-me pink seems to vibrate in the chilly water...

BigDave
05-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Wow I was out on Saturday night and Sunday morning on the exposed beachfront. It was like standing in front of a sandblaster inside a car wash :Eyecrazy: However the fish were there and the salt skunk is off of the 2005 season.

Took a while to figure out how to manage line and get a cast out without decapitating myself. In the end I settled on roll casting a 300 grain line with the wind which was quite effective to about 75 feet!

Once we get a moderating weather pattern hopefully things will break wide open.

jfbasser
05-09-2005, 11:46 AM
An effective technique this time of year when the winds are up is to go out in a large CC in a small bay and use your radar to find the location of shore fishermen. The shore fishermen are usually in a fairly protected spot and usually into a few fish. :mad:

FishHawk
05-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Pete thanks for posting a photo of the Tuttie Fruitie . I don't have a digital camera . It's on next year's list. My fly is more like the bottom one.
FishHawk :smokin:

Stevo
05-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks guys. Think i'll be tying a few of those to try for our own European Bass as well. :)

Guernseybass
05-09-2005, 06:25 PM
i have been adding a dash of pink kiptail in all my UK clousers and deceivers since i tied up the palmet specials cos i liked the look.

it gives the belly that lifelike pale pinky look ;)

by the way - in fishing terms, whats a twinkie ? - i know its a snack and thats what Moe the bully in Calvin & Hobbes calls Calvin, but i've not heard it used here until recently.

cheers

Mark

Penguin
05-09-2005, 09:14 PM
A "twinkie" looks just like a Striped Bass...
Only...SMALLER!
A "COW", on the other hand, is the golden fleece...everyone's notion of Striped nirvana...
'Looks just like a twinkie only much... LARGER!...