Inflattable Yaks [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Inflattable Yaks

SteelBoneguy
05-04-2005, 09:13 AM
I am in the market for inflattable kayak to take on trips. Can anyone suggest some good brands? Things I should look for, and things to avoid? I really could have used a Yak my last trip. Something that is not going to weigh a ton that could fit in a suit case. I saw Orvis just came out with one, but to me it didn't look very heavy dutry, the last thing I want is something that will pop easy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

striblue
05-04-2005, 10:09 AM
I saw that Orvis one as well. I am thinking of getting it for fishing the Monomoy flats... hauling it over on the ferry, then pumping it up and trailing it with me as I wade the flats or beaching it and using it ONLY to get to sand bars. It looks pretty sturdy to me for that purpose and Cheap..I think it was around $200 or 250.

SteelBoneguy
05-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Check these out as well if your looking at the orvis one. I would be doing what you are. Only using it to get from one sand flat to another not to fish out of.

<link removed>

flydoc
05-05-2005, 12:04 AM
SteelBone-sent you a PM with link to site for yak I've got- very sturdy and portable-comes in different sizes/prices.

John-talk to me before you buy the Orvis yak- I've got a very sturdy 14' inflatable sea kayak we could share on my weekends off (check out posts by member Henry from Canada- he took the smaller version of the one I have down to the Bahamas for bones-I believe he has links to his photo album for that trip in his posts). I'm kinda bummed I won't be able to make it to the Spring Clave again (always seems to be scheduled for one of my on-call weekends), but that's life in my line of work. See ya when I see ya..
Doc Shep

bonehead
05-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Hey, noticed there was a link removed so I don't know if I'm not going to post one but, if you do a Google search for 'the boat people' you'll find the best site I know of. Lots of good info and the straight skinny on things to look for and avoid. They also have good prices. I was looking into getting one of one of the Innova models for our (abandoned) DIY trip to Long Island, Bahamas this summer. They come in 1 or 2 person and some are even convertable. The price is great and so is the warranty. This yak will last you WAY longer than any $200 thing.

Good luck and tight lines.