Rip Ryder Ferry service starts Sat May 7th [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Ryder Ferry service starts Sat May 7th

Rip Ryder
05-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you all a heads up, that we will begin our services this coming Saturday May 7th. We will run from 8-4 on the weekends and do a limited schedule during the week. Weekdays I will offer a 8am drop with choice of either 2pm or 4pm pickup. Please give me a call ahead on the week day trips, so I will know there is some interest, otherwise I will not just show up at 8am until things start to really get going.

Fee this year will be $15 per person for N. Monomoy or S. Beach. Sorry to do this but fuel is already at an all time high of over $3 a gallon at the dock and the word is it may get close to $4 by July. :frown:

I should have the 2005 frequent Ryder cards shortly and I will make up the difference on the FREE end with the price change. Your previous year Ryder cards are all still good and you can continue to work off those.

Look forward to seeing everyone soon.

Capt Keith and the Admiral.

juro
05-02-2005, 06:25 PM
YAH BABY!!!!

I can taste the salt air already!

Paxton
05-02-2005, 08:27 PM
Rip Ryder is up and running on May 7th.....SPRING HAS ARRIVED!!! :)
Who needs, flowering forcynthias, appletrees, cherry blossoms, lilacs? :chuckle:
See ya soon Keith!
Ron

Quentin
05-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Great news! :cool:

Is the SB landing site still in the same location?

Can't wait to get back on the flats!

Q

juro
05-03-2005, 04:19 AM
Rip Ryder is up and running on May 7th.....SPRING HAS ARRIVED!!! :)
Who needs, flowering forcynthias, appletrees, cherry blossoms, lilacs? :chuckle:
See ya soon Keith!
Ron

Wait a minute! We do need cherry blossoms :hihi: :chuckle:

I've been watching it like a hawk, the true arrival of stripers has been closely tied to their bloom every year since Smitty told me this 24 years ago.

bonefishmon
05-03-2005, 05:35 AM
Capt. Keith and the Admiral. Thanks for the heads up! $15.00 is still a bargain as far as I'm concerned. All we need now is some updated water temperatures and
I'm sure the fish will arrive as they always do. Thanks Keith! See you soon.

Phil

Paxton
05-03-2005, 07:03 AM
OK Juro....I will tone down my excitement....put my tail between my legs....and admit and accept that we do need cherry blossoms :)
Ron
PS: But cherry blossoms or not, I am still planning to hit the water this Friday, weather permitting (weekend out, Mother's Day Weekend, for those who forgot)
PPS: Juro....in what state do the cherry blossoms have to be blooming, is Georgia acceptable? :chuckle:

Rip Ryder
05-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Went out this morning to get some hours on the new motors before the first wave shows up. Took a few cast around the SB landing, the rosebush and the tub. Got hits at all three, but saw fish on the flat in the tub. Had 5-6 fish chasing every cast. Got two and most looked to be in the 18-22 inch range. There were also quite a few that were hitting, but were just too small to take a 6" Sluggo.

Try again tomorrow, when I launch the Parker and will try switching to the 4" sluggo.

Capt Keith

jimS
05-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Keith, thanks for the update on the twinkies.

whats up with the new cut? Is it a non-event, or a new avenue to the outside?

Chris and I will see ya over Memorial Day.

Paxton
05-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Geez Keith....sluggos!!!!! Damn good thing we like you!
Ron
PS: thanks for the report...see you at the tub on Friday...I'll be the one without sluggos :-)

Rip Ryder
05-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Listen, it's a good thing I had them, since the boat next to me in the tub, with two flyfisherman, was watching me take the hits and the fish.

About time us "spinners" got a chance to take the lead back.

Besides, in my long, long, long career outthere, I have seen one flyfisherman using 4" white sluggos on his FLYROD.
Capt Keith

Paxton
05-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Well if that's the case, then I will tie up some white sluggos tomorrow morning...seriously!!! Will probably have trouble falling asleep tonight just thinking of the pattern.....all white is probably the answer, will call you at 2 a.m. tonight :D

Quentin
05-03-2005, 08:28 PM
. . . I have seen one flyfisherman using 4" white sluggos on his FLYROD.
Capt Keith

I've been tempted to try that with the 3" Arkansas shiner sluggos -- they're a perfect anchovy imitation and I've caught loads of fish with them on the spin rod. So far, I've been able to resist the urge :hihi: . Those gummy minnow flies are practically the same thing anyway, so why not just use a sluggo? :chuckle:

Q

Penguin
05-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Forbidden by the Geneva Convention! :whoa:
Fly Fishing Unmentionables... :eek:
Whip me...
Beat me...
Make me write BAD checks! :Eyecrazy:

flydoc
05-03-2005, 11:24 PM
I'd prefer to give a white Tabory Snake Fly a shot as a "Sluggo Fly"...look kinda similar....got one in front of me right now. Didn't do the tying (Orvis catalog) but am in the process of educating myself. Got the gear, just need the materials and above all...THE TIME... :confused:
Doc Shep

P.S. Correct that...just caught a glimpse of Bob Popovics Surf Candy...a MUCH BETTER "Sluggo" imitation!!! :Eyecrazy:

FishHawk
05-04-2005, 04:40 AM
Wonder who used the Sluggos on the flyrod? As they say when in Rome .
Who cares what you use as long as you get the fish. :smokin:
FishHawk :smokin:

Adrian
05-04-2005, 05:58 AM
As everyone knows, a sluggo is just a plastic immitation of a flatwing :lildevl:

I hear Orvis is launching a new line of fly fishing headgear in kevlar this season. They will be available in the usual popular colors :D

bonefishmon
05-04-2005, 06:20 AM
Capt. Keith. Could you please update all of us as to the current water temps at the stairs? Thanks.

Phil

jfbasser
05-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Everyone knows that Redgills work much better than those small sluggos on the flyrod :smokin:

Rip Ryder
05-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Phil,

The water temp on my mooring today was 53', no wind and clear skies. Didn't have time to fish today, but when I landed at the stairs there was a good number of bait schools zipping around. 20-100 in a school and they all seem to be about 3" in length. Moving to fast to get a good look at what they were.

Keith

Stevo
05-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Excuse my British ignorance, but what's a sluggo?

Hawkeye
05-04-2005, 04:33 PM
It's basicly a straight rubber worm. Like Adrian says think flatwing made of rubber.

Stevo
05-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Ahh, i'm with you now.... Cheating! :smokin:

Pete
05-04-2005, 07:03 PM
<edited by admin>

Stevo - To give you a visual - this is what a sluggo looks like, but they can be rigged with a weighted jig head as well.

rooster
05-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Yeah Baby,
See you all in a couple weeks.
Ready to hit the salt!
Cheers,
Rooster

flydoc
05-04-2005, 11:19 PM
Mmmm....I always thought Sluggo was Mr Bill's nemesis on the old episodes of Saturday Night Live....guess I need to get out more....
Doc Shep :wink:

Stevo
05-05-2005, 12:41 PM
<edited by admin>

Stevo - To give you a visual - this is what a sluggo looks like, but they can be rigged with a weighted jig head as well.

Pete

Looks like the admin guys have edited out your picy! :cool:

Penguin
05-05-2005, 01:18 PM
A popular spin bait...imbedded hook held fast in the soft, neutrally boyant plastic body with a bit of super glue...
Twitch, twitch...erratic darting action...seems to annoy enough to provoke a strike... :eek:

When I'm out on das boot running around in deeper water, I'll have one ready to "prospect" for FF potential... :confused:
A no-brainer just to see if anybody's home before I strip so many yards of line on the deck... :wink:
LAZY me?! :tsk_tsk:

FishHawk
05-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Like that Bubblegum color. Looks like a squid to me.Will probably see some of those of Doc's boat. :hihi: FishHawk

striblue
05-05-2005, 01:55 PM
HHHHmmm. I don't remember editing anything on this thread...not me!

Pete
05-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Stevo,

The pic was purely for informational purposes - after all this is a fly fishing bulletin board and I wouldn't want to be accused of trying to corrupt you :) . I was so proud of myself for figuring out inserting pictures without a lot of effort that I was a bit disappointed when it was erased :roll: ...I wonder if it is because it was a borrowed image from another site :o .

I hope that your party has a great time over here and that you get into plenty of fish!

Regards,

Pete

Smcdermott
05-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Pete,

Just so you know the picture never showed up. What did show up amounted to an advertisement for another site. I think that is why it was removed.

Sean

Greg Pavlov
05-07-2005, 01:16 PM
It's basicly a straight rubber worm. Like Adrian says think flatwing made of rubber.

Aktuly, it's probably the other way around...