Poons @ Night? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Poons @ Night?

SteelBoneguy
04-27-2005, 02:31 PM
My guide for tampa is rec. that we fish for poons starting at midnight and that he has a much higher success rate w/ hookups and landing fish fishing for poons at night time. I have never fished a guided trip at night. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I can't wait to hook up with my first Silver King! :lildevl:
WHOOO HOOO

capt_gordon
04-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Night time is the right time. You will get them. Just listen to your guide.

SteelBoneguy
04-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks Gordon for the reply. I'm quite excited, the last time I went tarpon fishing it was from morning till late afternoon w/ a guide. Saw tons of fish but didn't hook up once. Hopefully I'll be able to tell a different story next wk. Wish me luck. :cool:

Moose
04-28-2005, 08:29 PM
I was wondering what kind of Poon you were hunting. Never heard of a Tarpon being called a Poon :chuckle: Used to hunt Poon at night, but a different kind of Poon it was :lildevl:

I probably shouldn't have said that :tsk_tsk:

mdbones
04-29-2005, 10:39 AM
Tarpon is referred to as Poons, just as Snook is referred to as Snuke by the Locals.

Mike

Josh White
05-20-2005, 11:34 AM
You will have a higher success rate at night, as Tarpon are primarily nocturnal feeders, however... Night Tarpon fishing is NOT TARPON FISHING!!! You can not compare day and night fishing. Night fishing is not hard if the weather and fish cooperate. I fish both night and day and have for a number of years now, At night anyone can hook one if you can get out of the boat, It is really fun, but its not Tarpon fishing.

petevicar
05-22-2005, 09:11 AM
I agree with Josh that night fishing for tarpon is nothing like sight fishing for tarpon.
For me one of the most exciting fishing experiences is casting to laid up tarpon and watching the fish slowly come and take the fly.

Pete