sandeel 101 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: sandeel 101

Guernseybass
04-26-2005, 04:28 PM
evening Chaps,

ahead of our trip to Monomoy/South beach i have a couple of questions :

1. sparse- ness :

how sparse is sparse ? is it possible for flats fish patterns to go too sparse with the eel patterns ? - i'm tying clousers, bendbacks, sili-skin sandeels as i would for our bass. just a pinch of each colour but 4 to 5 inches long. we usually use bucktail in shorter lengths but these flies look very sparse to me....

2. light and colour (color :biggrin: ) :

i'm tying the above patterns in olive and white, olive and smoke, tan and white, tan and smoke, gold and white etc - do you have any preferences for fly colour in various light conditions i.e bright sun, overcast etc. basically when should i best fish each combination ?

cheers

Mark.

ps - just in case you're wondering, we return all our bass and we will treat your bass with the same respect - C&R only guys. :wink:

BigDave
04-26-2005, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about making your flies ultra-sparse for May-June fish. You can do quite well on standard issue clousers that time of year. I reserve the tiny/sparse flies for jul/aug when the fish have seen it all and are focused on the micro-forage that predominates the flat. Even then, a big fly can be a wake-up call for fussy fish.

I would carry eel patterns from size 2-4, both weighted and unweighted and you should be fine. I think all the colors you listed are good for any condition. You may want some bigger, brighter flies/gurglers/etc if you choose to fish the surf or at low light.

Penguin
04-26-2005, 06:00 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=chatham,ma&ll=41.634536,-69.960423&spn=0.018969,0.031672&t=k&hl=en

I live in Yarmouth...not too far from Elbowtown (Chatham) and Striperland...
The Area61 bunker is full of vises and stuff to tye with...
My vice is your vice!
You "Cousins" from over there are welcome to visit and play with fur and feathers...
BYOB...

clouser UK
04-27-2005, 02:16 AM
Keep feeding that advice guys, it's much appreciated !
You can only immagine the excitement thats building up :Eyecrazy:

Pete, as one of the UK mob, i can say your offer is very kind....you might end up with a house full :Eyecrazy:

Looking forward to meeting as many of you we can.....and as many of your Bass (Stripers, thanks Jamie :chuckle: ) as is possible

Dave :wink:

jamie
04-27-2005, 05:02 AM
Chaps,

We do not want to stand out too much whilst we are visiting the colony. We need to try and blend in.

First, they are Striper (pronounced Stryp-ars) not bass.
Second, we need to loose that wanton 1000 yard stare we have developed from prolonged periods of fruitlessly flogging the brine. Think snake eyes a la Blondie in that cultural classic “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly” (bagsie Eli Wallach). Our cousins actually have fish and do not have to imagine them.
Thirdly, we need to start to cast at a more jaunty angle, none of that 90 degrees upright stance, and chanting “God save the Queen” to time the pause when false casting (“God bless America” is acceptable, should you require an alternative to measure the pause). An angle between 30 and 50 degrees to the horizon is acceptable; angles between 50 and 90 degrees will attract attention. :smokin:
Fourth, do not stare when Juro is seen totting a ‘spey’ rod. Comments about salmon and sea trout (they call them Steelhead) will be misunderstood. :tsk_tsk:
Five, Do not make any mention about Benedict Arnold coming to his senses too late. What a waste of tea there was on December the 16th 1776 and how the events of that day brought about a scandalous increase in the price of tea. And that strategic retreat in York Town in 1781, should be referred to as ‘our boy getting a whopping’. :lildevl:
Six, if you require a cigarette to not ask for a ‘fag’, this has a somewhat different meaning over there, and you risk potential prosecution in some parts of the State, whilst in others you risk drawing undesired attention. :eek:
Seven, try not to snigger if you hear reference to a ‘fanny pack’ it is quite an innocent referral to an item of personal luggage.
Eight, the natives have somewhat developed culturally over the last few hundred years and offers of beads and shiny, but inexpensive items whilst being politely received will not buy much good will. Cigars and Single Malt Scotch are accepted currency. :smokin:

We have a responsibility to the Queen to maintain the entente cordial between our nations and ensure that when our Prime Minister want to attend on the President with his begging bowl and make like his pet dog, the natives do not have their back up.

I will provide further notes on cultural integration to this very alien species in due course.

Paxton
04-27-2005, 08:43 AM
AND....remember....tea is served promptly at 10 a.m. on the flats of Monomoy by the locals.......NOT!!! :chuckle:
Seriously...am looking forward to meeting our fly fishing brothers from the other side of the pond.
Ron

jamie
04-27-2005, 09:31 AM
Ron, I can picture you now, with a dainty china tea cup with your pinky saluting with the official pose :Eyecrazy: Remember sip not slurp

Penguin
04-27-2005, 10:24 AM
...it's not the extended pinky finger that you must be on the lookout for and deal with. :confused:
The warm friendly nature of the natives can be misinterpreted when you fail to let them cut you off while driving or when they decide that you have inadvertently disrespected them in spite of their egocentonic moronic behavior... :hihi:
...all part of the grande adventure!

ps
remember to drive on the "other" side! :eek:

Paxton
04-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Jamie...Thank God I have a few weeks to practice extending my "pinky"....as I drive often in Boston, it is not the digit that I am used to extending. But fret not...I will master this new function by the time you all arrive. :)

striblue
04-27-2005, 10:44 AM
One other thing... The boat over to South beach or Monomoy is called a "ferry"..NOT "Taxi". If you ask for the location of the Taxi you will be met with shugs of the shoulder and quizzical looks... they will send you downtown in the opposite direction. :)

FredA
04-27-2005, 11:58 AM
ps
remember to drive on the "other" side!

...and the person in the rotary (roundabout?) has the right of way, unless you're in Jersey. In Jersey the person entering the rotary has the right of way so you could be stuck going in circles for the duration of your stay.

Guernseybass
04-27-2005, 12:24 PM
thanks for the help guys, and Jamie too.

You should be able tell us from a distance - we'll be the guys in the Sage Bowler hats :

http://www.punchstock.com/image/corbis/2936235/large/12883999.jpg

"I say old chap, is that a Stry-per Blitz ? - best get the jolly old nine weight out"

Mark :biggrin:

striblue
04-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Well...ok...but you will be required to wear a Fez at CAC...only temporarily. :wink:

Doc Duprey
04-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Fred, Fred, Fred...

How many times do I have to tell you that in Joisey, EVERYBODY has the right of way in a traffic circle. Or at least they drive that way. :Eyecrazy:

And no signals, thank you very much. They only give away your intentions to the enemy. :devil:

Best regards,

-Doc

FishHawk
04-27-2005, 02:42 PM
When you guys see the Mayor of Mononomy, the Iron man you'll think you ran into a retired Viceroy just back from India. Waxed mustach and all . :lildevl:
FishHawk :hihi: :chuckle:

clouser UK
04-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Iv'e been feeding myself a diet of US dramas on satelite tv.......6 hours a day....The Gilmore girls, The District, Law & order....CSI Miami/Vegas/ New York.....Judgeing Amy.................. :confused:
I should blend in like a native !!!
As long as this E-ticket works and US immigration lets me in , the only thing that will make me stand out will be the 1000yd stare and possibly my jaw gaping!!......
Oh , and the flag of St. George tied round my shoulders :hihi:

Dave :smokin:

jamie
04-28-2005, 09:06 AM
This is where the British contingent will be laying up.

www.griffithscentral.com/images/hideout.jpg
and
www.griffithscentral.com/images/hideout2.jpg

The Federal Government has already been notified and temporarily designated the area property of Her Majesties Government of the British Isles. Anyone wishing to visit will require the correct documentation to pass our stringent, but fair immigration controls and are asked to form an orderly queue behind all of the US Citizens who will inevitably claim asylum. There will be a fast track system for people in possession of the correct fees (food and booze). :devil:

I think this is not too far from where JimS based himself last season and is just enough distance to the refuge to clear that morning hangover. :redface:

Apparently the State have been lobbying the Federal Government over who will pay the clean-up costs on our departure. :hihi:

Adrian
04-29-2005, 10:19 AM
To my fellow visiting countrymen, a few notes on making yourselves understood in the former colonies might be helpful;

In the Peoples Republic of Massachussets, they do not say stripe-errrzzzz they say stripe-ahz.

It's really important to learn how to pronounce the ahhhhhhhh sound if you want to be understood and avoid frustration and wierd looks in places like cahhhh-paks and most importantly in bahz.

Note the gramatical nuance when the "ah" syllable occurs twice (or more) in a given word in which case the first "ah" syllable is extended and the latter clipped - haaahhh-ba, cahhhhh-pak etc.

Practice saying these out loud 20 times a day:

1) The tea pahty took place in Bahston hahhhh-ba
2) A 28 inch Stripe-ah (and the gahl ya mahry) is a Keep-ah

The more advanced and ambitious student may care to incorporate the less well known yet highly distinctive "uh" feature:

3) Ahftuh a day chase'n stripe-ahz on the flatz yuh can go-duh-thu Chahddam squy-ah ferruh cup-luh bee-ahz

See yah on the flatz :lildevl:

jamie
04-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Bugger, have a phrase book for the wrong State. :confused:

Just lucky that most of you guys are bilingual.

striblue
04-29-2005, 10:57 AM
By the way...How many of you guys are staying at the locaction and please PM me the actual address. I think a number of the homes along the road on that map are obscured from the road by brushes and trees if I am correct.

jamie
04-29-2005, 11:30 AM
Sent you the info John

sstump
04-29-2005, 12:58 PM
I will be driving up from Maryland for vacation (er, holiday) from June 4-10, staying in Orleans for the week. I would like to meet you folks (on the water or over a pint or two). If you have anything planned and wouldn't mind a (transplanted) southerner in the group, let me know.

Only about a month more!

Sam

striblue
04-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Sounds good Sam, and Jaime, I received the list and address...thanks

flydoc
04-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Yo Adrian!
Wicked ah-sum explanation of Mass-speak. My gram-puh Larry (who went to Hah-vud) wood-uh loved it.
GO SOX!
Doc Shep
Hah-witch, Mass (just west-ah Cha-dum) :wink:

jimS
05-01-2005, 06:41 PM
Last year, I cringed when I saw you wading the S. Beach flats without waders. Don't think you are the Ironman (Striblue). Water temp is no more than 65f on an outgoing tide. That is too cold without waders.

Anyhow, look forward to seeing you and your compatriots in June. A contingent of friends from California (Rooster) will be there at that time. Sounds like a mixed clave of left coast and way... right coast anglers getting together for a couple of ales/single malts after fishing S. Beach/N. Monomoy.

I'm kind of central for a cocktail hour, a couple of steps north of the Causeway. My good buddy, Dave Browne, an Irishman, will repale you with his stories.

Don't forget the required dress for induction into the Chatham Anglers Club (CAC). Derby's not required, an alternate is supplied.

All the best,

Jim

polareyez
05-02-2005, 05:32 PM
To our cousins,

If you want to blend in please learn to speak English, not whatever you're speaking now :hihi: Second, any foreigner correctly identified has to buy drinks. It's a right of passage. Third have a great trip and I hope we meet up.
Garry

jamie
05-03-2005, 04:53 AM
Jim,

That water was cold enough to remind me I was alive. I do not have the family in tow this trip so I have plenty of space for all of the all important fishing gear.

It will be good to meet up with you and the other guys again. You catching that big striper from under the boat whilst we were waiting for Keith at the drop-off has become the stuff of legend over here with the fish getting bigger on every telling. :eek:

Will pack the dinner suit for the CAC induction and I am working on the accent with extreme elocution lessons. I have no problem with driving on the wrong side of the road, it is the emphasis on the wrong syllable which gets me every time. :D

Stevo
05-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Actually Jamie you drive on the wrong side of the road over here anyway, so no change there! :hihi:

I reckon we should put a George cross, or Union flag, sticker on our stripping baskets for easy identifiaction out on the water... It'll be easier than the bowler hat , umbrella and F.T. :chuckle:

flydoc
05-04-2005, 12:44 AM
is the official Mass greeting... pronounced High-how-ahh-yuh...with great emphasis on trying to slur the syllables into a single word...
Hope to meet some of you folks from the Mother Country while you grace our humble shores...I've been practicing my accent by imitating the "Roaming Gnome" in the Travelocity commercials (you'll find out when you get here...too funny to be believed....).
Doc Shep
Harwich, MA

jamie
05-04-2005, 03:58 AM
Roaming Gnome? - is Dudley Moore still misbehaving? :tsk_tsk:

Steve, that would explain my frequent brushes with the law, helps me get around a lot quicker tho.

Stevo
05-04-2005, 01:28 PM
I've been practicing my accent by imitating the "Roaming Gnome" in the Travelocity commercials (you'll find out when you get here...too funny to be believed....).
Doc Shep
Harwich, MA

Doc

You should try the old favorites... "How now brown cow" & "The water in Majorca, doesn't taste like what it ought too" :D

flydoc
05-05-2005, 12:08 AM
Steve- you should see the latest one- the Gnome shows up in the hotel lobby to save the day (done up in superhero attire), only to get run over by the luggage valet's cart. He then yells out "I'm calling for back up" followed very quickly by "NO! DON'T BACK UP!!!". Hilarious... :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Doc Shep