There I wuzz... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: There I wuzz...

Penguin
04-22-2005, 07:10 PM
...'standing on a Cape Cod south facing beach and there, almost plain as day...Nantucket...24+/- miles away!
Great Point to the east and Eel Point & Tuckernuck Island to the west and everything in between...light houses on each end, dunes and buildings shimmering in my binoculars...
Normally well over the horizon and out of sight...some sort of light bending temperature inversion refraction going on here?!
The visual lasted for about 20 minutes and then slowly vanished...
NO recreational drugs involved...HONEST!

Anyone know what this unusual phenomenon might be called? :confused:
Or should I call my doctor ASAP?...

flydoc
04-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Pete- I think the term you are searching for is "mirage".... :D
Doc Shep

Penguin
04-22-2005, 08:54 PM
I just found a fine explanation/discription of what I saw...
http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/elements/supmrge.htm

Go phigure!

flydoc
04-23-2005, 06:53 AM
Pete- just as I suspected, although the article was wicked cool in it's explanation of the phenomenon...I forwarded it to my Dad. Maybe I'll catch one on Red River beach some day (is that where you were?)
Doc Shep

Adrian
04-23-2005, 09:06 AM
I recall a similar effect looking out across the ocean when I was growing up - (SouthWest UK).

Often when the air was very clear ,either in the fall, or sometimes after a big storm, you could look out from Saunton sands and see crystal clear features on Lundy Island and Hartland Point both well over 20 miles out.

I've also noticed sometimes in Long Island Sound, when conditions are right, the sky-scrapers of mid-town Manhattan seem to float above the water surface. It must be well over 40 miles as the crow flies. You can recognise the Empire State, Chrysler building and Citibank towers.

Cool stuff :smokin:

jfbasser
04-23-2005, 10:14 AM
I think Penquin was in flight and it has been so long that he forgot how high he was :biggrin: :biggrin:

Chris
04-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Far out , Pete.
Interesting link too!

Penguin
03-30-2006, 04:03 PM
SouthMonomoyLight...
from Yarmouth/SeaGull Beach...
Like last year...
colder water/warmer air/temperature inversion/light bending and magnifying...:Eyecrazy:

Penguin
03-30-2006, 04:04 PM
The MV @ 20+ miles...

Penguin
03-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Some dredging or cable work @ Nantucket...
20 miles and over the horizon...

Penguin
03-30-2006, 04:12 PM
The infamous dot-on-my-horizon wind farm test tower on Horseshoe Shoal...@ about 18 miles

Charlie
03-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Very cool pictures!

It's great when you can get stuff like that on film. :smokin:

Charlie.