Trouble brewing in Olympia WDFW commission [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Trouble brewing in Olympia WDFW commission

jjohnson
04-19-2005, 03:16 PM
There is trouble brewing in Olympia right now, and it is centered around WDFW Commissioner Clyde McBrayer, a much needed resource and sportfishing advocate on the Commission.

During his short tenure on the Commission, McBrayer has become a strongly spoken advocate for both the protection of our resources, and for the recreational fishing community, and has openly questioned the focus of the WDFW on resource harvest, especially through the commercial fishing industry.

As the new members of the Commission are seeking to establish themselves within the Commission, the commercial fishing lobbies, along with their friends in the State Senate, on the WDFW Commission, and in WDFW, are mounting what can only be called an all out attack on McBrayer, attempting to set the tone of "business as usual" in fisheries management.

With no public announcements, a vote of "no confidence" in McBrayer has been scheduled in the Senate Natural Resources Committee for tomorrow morning, Wednesday April 20. There are several members of that committee who are firmly on the side of removing McBrayer, and several who are firmly opposed to his removal.

The rest are the "swing votes" who will effectively be making the decision.

If the "no confidence" vote passes out of the NRC, it will then have to go to the full Senate for a vote, and a majority vote there would cancel McBrayer's appointment and open his chair for another candidate.
A failed "no confidence" vote would open the door to McBrayer's confirmation, whereby he would attain full membership in the Commission.

Considering the known voting records and opinions of the confirmed commissioners, and the relatively unknown, but hopeful, direction that the new commissioners will seek to take the Department, it is vital for the protection of the resources that Clyde McBrayer stay on the Commission.

Here is Commissioner McBrayer's bio:

Clyde McBrayer

Clyde McBrayer, of Olympia, worked as a high school teacher, adjunct professor, and educational administrator after receiving a master's degree in science from the University of Washington. Since retiring in 1994, he has served as an adviser to WDFW as a member of the department's Sport Fishing Advisory Committee and the Puget Sound Crab Advisory Committee.
He has also participated in the North of Falcon season-setting process for salmon for the past 10 years. (CURRENT TERM: Jan. 1, 2005 - Dec. 31, 2010)

Clyde is also an avid sportfisherman, and has worked with the Northwest Sportfishing Industry Association prior to joining the WDFW Commission.

Please send e-mails, and make phone calls, to the Senators' offices listed below, urging them to vote to retain Commissioner McBrayer. Also, please contact your own Senator to let them know how you feel about this political gambit from the commercial fishing lobby, and that if the vote gets out of the NRC into the full Senate, you expect them to vote to retain McBrayer.

As this is an emergency situation, there is no time to send letters via regular mail; your comments to the below Senators must be received by them TODAY, April 19.

Senator Bob Morton morton.bob@leg.wa.gov
Senator Val Stevens stevens.val@leg.wa.gov
Senator Dan Swecker swecker.dan@leg.wa.gov
Senator Karen Fraser fraser.karen@leg.wa.gov
Senator Jim Hargrove hargrove.jim@leg.wa.gov

Thank you all very much for your consideration in this matter. I will send out an update as soon as the meeting in Olympia is over tomorrow morning.

Yours in service to the resource,

Todd Ripley
Vice President, Political Affairs
Wild Steelhead Coalition

OC
04-19-2005, 04:40 PM
There are 4 more state senators in that committee all are important to call, sorry I do not have the numbers or e-mail address for them but I do have the names.

Bob Oke (R) Kitsap and Pierce County

Spanel (D) San Juans, Skagit and Whatcom Counties

Ken Jacobsen (D) CHAIR. King County

Mark Doumit (D) VICE CHAIR. Pacific and Grays Harbor

The committee is 5 to 4 democrats and I'm sure the Governor has spoken to her party members about protecting her appointment. But seeing that some of her party is from counties that are heavy into commercial crabing and commercial netting that may not be enough.

PLEASE if you are from any of these districts or counties call and let them know how you feel. All of us need to call each Senator but they really want to hear from their voters and also mention that you belong to as many conservation groups as possible. Ya got to let them know that the pressure is on.

Good Luck

flytyer
04-19-2005, 05:25 PM
OC,

Spanel (who is my state senator) unfortunately has always supported commercial interests over sportsfishers because she has extended family who are commercial fishermen. I wish it were different, but in the past Harriet has responded to concerns of sportsfishers by ignoring us and voting the way the commercials desired, and then having a staffer send out a form letter thanking them for letting her know their concerns although she had to take all views into consideration because she represents all constituents, not just sportsfishers. I hope this time is different; however, I have my doubts.

Brian Simonseth
04-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Done deal, E-Mail sent and already called the senaters!