A crappie morning [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: A crappie morning

Dble Haul
04-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Anne and I arrived at a small local lake by mid morning, and for the first half hour we didn't even have a whiff of a fish. And then at 10:30, it was like someone had flipped a switch and what seem to be every crappie in the water was within casting distance of the boat. Must have been something about sunlight warming the water for the first few hours of daylight..... :cool:

Net result was many crappie and one beligerent pickeral who seemed bent on keeping my fly. He should have known better. :tsk_tsk: :)

A beautiful day, all around.

Quentin
04-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Nice! Crappie are loads of fun on the flyrod. When they're aggressive you can get multiple hits and hookups on each cast. Sounds like a great day!

I fished the Housy backwaters again. Water level is back to normal. Had a swipe from a mini pike on my first cast with the pike fly. Hooked a bigger one (maybe 24") a while later and got it to the boat but it came off the hook when I tried to get the camera out. Also got a few perch, 2 of which hit my pike fly :hihi: . Saw 2 other small pike but that was it. Pretty slow for the most part.

Q

Dble Haul
04-17-2005, 09:28 PM
I love it when fish try to bite flies that are their own size. :tongue:

Things are definitely warming up in New England, and the salt should soon follow.