What happens when you're nice to gear guys? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What happens when you're nice to gear guys?

Todd Ripley
04-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Well, if you're lucky, this might happen!!

If you want to catch a fish with me and Ike, offer to make lunch.

We got down to a spot where three fish in three trips have offered up a few minutes of fun, and since JJ was kind enough to take a day off work and cook a streamside lunch yesterday, when we got to that spot, Ike suggested that we put up the plug rods and the worm rods, and have JJ run his fly through the spot.

The spot is about 4 feet deep, sand bottom, with a couple of twigs in it, and the water is almost not moving. It's the kind of spot you'd walk by 100 times and never cast into.

I walked down to the spot with JJ, pointed to it and said "right there"...with dubious look on his face (perhaps he was being made fun of for being the only fly-flinger in the group?), he strung up and decided to give it a shot.

The result?

Todd and JJ with a nice hen:

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP7749.jpg

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP7751.jpg

Hey, Sparkey!! Does that fly look at all familiar to you? :hihi:

Moral of the story, if you flyfish and make lunch, even gear guys will throw you a bone every once in a while! :smokin:

From what I was told, that fish popped the cherry on JJ's yellow Eagle Claw spey rod, too...well, he said it was a "Loop" and cost something like $500.00, but it sure looked like an Eagle Claw to me. :chuckle:

And if it did cost that much, you'd think the guy could afford a newer reel! Sheesh, the one had on there is like 40 years old...it was a Hardy Perfect, or something like that.

I thought Microsoft guys got paid enough that they wouldn't have to use Eagle Claw rods and old reels from garage sales and such, but I guess I could be wrong!

What do I know? I'm just a gear tosser! :whoa:

That was a fun day, JJ, we'll have to do it again before the end of the month.

Fish on...

Todd

inland
04-16-2005, 03:48 PM
JJ,

Glad to see the ol' Perfect get put to use.

William

Todd Ripley
04-16-2005, 03:59 PM
inland,

I'll let JJ share the whole story, but the Hardy worked like a champ...you could hear the clicker reverberating off the streamside trees like a jackhammer. That fish spent the first thirty seconds testing the gears on the reel, to say the least.

Fish on...

Todd

NrthFrk16
04-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Hey, Sparkey!! Does that fly look at all familiar to you? :hihi:

...because i gave it to him the night before when JJ was complaining he was a little light on big bright winter-run flies. :lildevl:

juro
04-16-2005, 04:54 PM
What an awesome story from start to finish! Congrats to all involved :)

jjohnson
04-16-2005, 06:52 PM
I will say that even on 2.5 hours of sleep that run didn't look fishy to me but Todd said it was holding fish and for me to go through before cooking lunch. Putting on Sparky's pink work fly and about a dozen casts later fish on. Inland love the reel. Has three fish hooked on it this winter. And man it sang as the fish ripped 30-40 yards of line in the first 10 seconds. Then started jumping basically in a log jam, didn't know where she was at until she started jumping higher then some of the logs. Love hot winter fish. She made my month that is for sure.

Had a great day with a couple of knuckle dragging gear guys on the river yesterday. :D Even barely made it home in time to do the birthday dinner with the girlfriend (barely walked out of the house with 0 minutes to spare.)

JJ

KerryS
04-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Great job JJ. You surely must have put up with more then most would have fishing with that crew.

Nice looking fish. I won't say anything about the fly.

Todd Ripley
04-16-2005, 07:45 PM
"You surely must have put up with more then most would have fishing with that crew."

Undoubtedly true, Kerry...however, if the half hour JJ spent on the sticks were any indication of his rowing prowess, I doubt he would have made it home for dinner with his girlfriend...if at all. :razz:

Man, did we have to drag the boat a lot...and two rods mysteriously made it out of the boat into the river, and what is even more mysterious, or miraculous, they both made it back in, no worse for wear.

The look on JJ's face, half an hour after breaking the cherry on his Eagle Claw, as he watched it hanging from a streamside tree as we rapidly proceeded downriver in the boat, was priceless!!

I'll let JJ tell the rest of that story, should he feel so inclined!

Fish on...

Todd

Brian Simonseth
04-16-2005, 08:55 PM
The look on JJ's face, half an hour after breaking the cherry on his Eagle Claw,

I'll let JJ tell the rest of that story, should he feel so inclined!

Todd

Yes JJ lets hear about that Eagle Claw :hihi: