Conneticut Fly Fishing? Question about opening day... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Conneticut Fly Fishing? Question about opening day...

Massflyfishing
04-13-2005, 03:47 PM
I've fished the Farmington, etc before but usually mid season. Does the fishing season close on certain rivers or does it last all year? On the Dept. of Fisheries website it says opening day is on April 16th... Does that mean this is the first day you can fish for trout in CT? More importantly, are the rivers extremely overcrowded on this day? Me and a buddy are looking to go down and fish the Farmington but would rather not enjoy a day of combat fishing.

John Desjardins
04-13-2005, 08:21 PM
This is from memory of growing up in Ct so you might want to double check it on the state of Connecticut web site.

Fishing season in Connecticut closes on most ponds & lakes on the last day of February. Most rivers close on the last day of March. If you are in a catch and release area the season is year round. Opening day is on the 3'rd Saturday of April.

I used to head down for the social aspect of opening day. If you got away from the heavily traveled areas you might find some solitude. Otherwise it had at least some aspects of combat fishing.

Fred Krow
04-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Stocked (trout) rivers, streams and ponds are closed end Feb and open again April 16. The TMA (Trout Management Area) are open all year for C&R.

Any river or pond/lake not stocked with trout is normally open all year for fish other than trout however, check the CT DEP rules book for exceptions.

Crowding is traditional for the month of April for all trout fishing,,,,by mid May it is back to normal and most of the spring fever FF is over.

This coming weekend is predicted to be fine weather and the rivers will be slightly high but fishable.

Regards,
Fred Krow

GreenDrake
04-15-2005, 10:55 AM
In my experience the river actually seems to be a bit less crowded on opening day than the few weekends just prior to opening day. The areas outside the TMA become open on opening day and this spreads out the fisherman a bit more and provides many more opportunities to find spots in case your favorite holes are crowded.