Saturday Skunk, Sunday Success 4/9 & 4/10 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Saturday Skunk, Sunday Success 4/9 & 4/10

Quentin
04-11-2005, 07:20 PM
On Saturday I dragged the boat out of its winter storage spot, loaded it onto the car and headed to the Housy to hunt for pike. Water level was still way up but the clarity had improved. I searched my favorite backwater areas and dredged the channels but came up empty. I did see a few perch and sunfish right on the shoreline, and I saw one pike that already had some old line hanging from its mouth but had no hits or follows. I took advantage of the calm conditions to work on my casting for a while since I wasn't seeing any fish.

On Sunday I decided to look for carp in the shallow end of a local lake, which has been clear of ice for a couple of weeks now even though the other half of the lake is still iced over. I saw a couple carp in the first area and a few fish were jumping nearby where the water was a little deeper. I made my way down the shore but only saw a couple more along the way, so I headed back to the first area figuring that the water had probably warmed up by a couple degrees. Well, it must have warmed up enough because the place was swarming with carp -- in fact, there were too many! I had a hard time getting a good shot because it was impossible to avoid spooking some of the fish, which would set off a chain reaction and leave me staring at trails of bubbles and swirling silt. I decided to tie the boat to a tree and let the fish come to me. They did, and they still spooked and/or avoided my fly most of the time but I did manage to catch two :biggrin: (one on a brown woolly bugger, the other on a berry fly). The main problem was that they would swim right up to the boat and then get spooked and stir up the mud again. By the time the water cleared enough to see anything they were already heading right at me again or sneaking up behind me! Many times there would be two or three smaller fish, probably males, flanking one of the BIG mommas, and I spent a couple hours trying to get one of the big girls to eat but they weren't interested.

Q

edit: I tried to post some photos but the jpg compression is too high and you can't see anything. They look fine as jpegs on my computer, but when I upload them as attachments they look terrible :confused: .

Dble Haul
04-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Q- For what it's worth, all of my pike spots on the CT River are still unrecognizable because of the high waters. I'm happy that you at least got to see a pike.

Your strategy of tying up the boat and letting the fish come to you is what has always worked best for me when carp fishing. Glad you got a couple, and I look forward to the day when you report about catching one of the "big mommas". :)

Quentin
04-12-2005, 06:58 PM
. . . I look forward to the day when you report about catching one of the "big mommas". :)

Thanks, me too :D . Some of them were definitely over 20 lbs :whoa: .

They were very close to a place where I can fish from shore. Maybe I'll try for one during lunch tomorrow and get back to work 15 min late and covered with mud :hihi: .

Nice dry week. You'll probably find better conditions this weekend. I'll probably try the Housy again if I can get out.

Q