Housatonic 4 10 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Housatonic 4 10

Adrian
04-11-2005, 05:03 AM
I yak fished the lower Housie yesterday and had solid schoolie action - fish up to 20" which aint bad for this time of year. That first tap felt very good. :smokin:

Water temperatures are still cold but the air temp hit 72 in the afternoon - boy did they get that forecast wrong!

Fly pattern doesn't seem to matter much this time of year - I was fishing a white/blue/yellow hollow fly about 7 inches. No sign of any bait yet but reports of herring in a lot of the streams already.

I would say that "spring has finally sprung".

FishHawk
04-11-2005, 05:19 AM
Maybe a couple of more weeks for us up here. Water temps 43 degrees average.
Good report.
FishHawk :smokin:

Dble Haul
04-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Adrian-

I was busy doing yard work this weekend, but heard from a few friends that the holdovers in the CT River are also quite active. The time is now, and it's only gonna get better. :)

Striper
04-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Adrian,
Was that you I saw floating around just north of the bridges in Devon yesterday? I fished in the late afternoon upriver and got a few.

juro
04-11-2005, 07:21 PM
GREAT news!

Any spring brights or are they all holdovers waking up?

Adrian
04-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Mike - if it was a blue kayak then it was me. I paddled up as far as Merrit Parkway but most of the action came from the Power plant South.

Any evidence of herring up where you were?

The schoolies were a mix of condition - mostly fiesty bright but a couple had 'typical' resident skin complaints. My guess would be these are all part of the large resident population.

Quentin
04-12-2005, 06:47 PM
. . . I paddled up as far as Merrit Parkway but most of the action came from the Power plant South. . . .

Did you fish near the sanctuary? I might have to take a ride down there :cool: .

Q

Adrian
04-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Q

I didn't get down that far but I'm betting they are hanging in all the usual spots ;)

Striper
04-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Adrian,
Yes that was you I saw, the yak was blue. I did not see any signs of herring but based upon reports and pics from the other site they are here and the bass are chowing. I always wonder whether these fish are early arrivals or resident, no way to really tell as far as I know. The few fish I managed to get were all 16-24 and very bright colored fiesty fish. They also had no lack of belly distension which tells me the feedin' is good. Still have not even uncovered the boat but may have to unwrap her this weekend as the weather is looking good for the weekend.