Hi Guys/ Chatham Tackle shops & beaches [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hi Guys/ Chatham Tackle shops & beaches

Guernseybass
04-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Hi Guys,

I am one of the English lads coming over June 2nd to 10th, staying at Morris Island to fish south beach and the island.

The first day, the others will likely take a trip on the Rip Ryder but i like to suss a place out first. I was hoping to visit the local tackle shops in the morning, maybe get a casting lesson then try a couple of places on the beach in the afternoon.

so any recommendations ?

cheers

Mark.

Redfisher
04-08-2005, 09:20 AM
The Nauset Angler in Orleans, which is the next town north of Chatham, is the best fly fishing shop in the area. Harry Koons, the owner , is extremely knowledgable and I'm sure he can give you casting lessons and advice on local conditions. Harry is also a guide and a professional fly tier and can show you some of his flies which are tied in sizes and colors which work well in this area.

Harry is a member of this site and you probably can reach him by email. You will find him on the member list under the name Nauset Angler.

striblue
04-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Another Sponsor to the site is "Fishing The Cape", an Orvis shop in Harwich just off rt 6 at exit 11. It is full service and can help you out as well as Harry's operation.

Guernseybass
04-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks Redfisher & John for the advice, i'll check them out. :wink:

from lurking on here for sometime i think i should be okay for flies - i have tied up 30 odd palmet specials, and 20 or so or of steve farrar's siliskin sandeels in olive and white, and blended olive & gold and white.

i also have chartreuse and blue deceivers plus in tan, pink and chartreuse.

all those with poppers and sliders for the night fishing means i'm running out of fly boxes. :hihi:

see you on the water maybe.

Mark.