Sunglasses for spotting fish? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sunglasses for spotting fish?

tglynos
04-07-2005, 05:18 PM
What color shades would you recommend to see the stripahs on the flats of Jersey and the cape. Buying a new,better pair of shades and I want my best chance of seeing those suckers. Any suggestions wojuld be helpful. Seriously considering Spotters Shades out of Australia. Thanks,
Triston

SageBoy
04-07-2005, 06:30 PM
I would go with either Amber or Vermillion in sunny conditions and probably yellow when it's cloudy. Those combinations seem to work best for me.

JimW
04-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Love my amber action optics. I had a pair of gray zeiss lenses and I find the amber gives a better contrast. I've always gone with plastic since mine are Rx and would be too heavy in a glass lense. I've also been told that the copper photochromic lenses (glass) are good but I cannot comment on those first hand.

Dble Haul
04-08-2005, 08:05 AM
I use amber lenses and they perform very well.

juro
04-08-2005, 11:52 PM
The reds and browns provide better contrast for low light conditions when colors play a lesser role. The grey provides fidelity to true color for the times of the day when color plays a much more important role for fish detection. For me, contrast is contrast and I have very little problem detecting shape and motion, but the true color adds a dimension to it that I have grown very accustomed to in fact many of the fish I am able to detect are by scanning the colors of things on the flat as well as other queues. I don't get that with the red/brown lenses, but then again everyone's eyes are different not to mention that everyone's brain processes what hits their retina differently as well.

Besides, amber lenses make me come close to rear-ending the person in front of me at red lights, it cancels out my ability to see red during the day. For me, it's grey / true color.

Your results may vary, so it's most important to know what your eyes and brain works best with.