swff in the Cayman Islands [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: swff in the Cayman Islands

ants
04-06-2005, 07:53 AM
Hi,
As a newbie to swff i'm planning a trip to GC in june with some flats fishing on the side.. any recommendations of where - i'll spend most of my time prob on GC? any recommended guides? would like to catch bonefish, jacks and baracuda if possible maybe even tarpen.
can one rent boats/kayaks for the flats?
also.. i believe LC is better fishing is it possible to do day trips to LC?
any advice appreciated.
thanks in advance.

bonehead
05-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Just do a search for Cayman fly fishing on Google or Yahoo and you'll find some stuff. There are 2 guides on the island, myself and Capt. Ronald Ebanks. Almost all fishing is done by wading due to the layout of the island's reef system - you'll see when you get here - although going by skiff is a possibility. Personally I recommend wading since most fish are tailing over the rich turtle grass flats and you'll get far closer on foot... plus you'll get more shots at the same fish.

Of course, if you prefer to try it on your own I can point you in the right direction for that as well. Feel free to email me if you like.

By the way, the rumour that LC has better fishing is really a myth. The bones there are small and, as a rule, spooky... little island, little fish. LC just gets more publicity.

Good luck and tight lines. Let me know if I can help.
Davin Ebanks

SteelBoneguy
05-11-2005, 08:25 AM
HEY bonehead! Sorry couldn't help myself :hihi: I didn't know there was bonefishing on GC. My wife and I are looking for a place to vacation this winter. How are the beaches and is there plenty of places to go bonefishing. IF we went to GC I would hire a guide for the day, then fish rest of the time DIY. Any tips or info would be great.

bonehead
05-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Lots of both, man.

The beaches here are excellent... some of the best I've seen anywhere in the Caribbean... hell, the world... and I'm not just saying that cause I'm a local. (I've been to Mexico, Belize, Bahamas, Hawaii, Australia, South FLA, etc.) Our most famous is 7-Mile Beach and even even in busy season it seems downright deserted compared to other famous beaches I've been to. Plus there are many other secluded beaches only a rental-car drive away where you'll be the only people.

Bonefishing is good that time of year. The cooler water temps bring the big boys into really shallow water. They are also generally aggressive since they spend the rest of the year in deeper water and don't see many flies. You can certainly hire a guide and then DIY the rest of the time. We guides here don't have any problem with that.

If you're looking for a DIY location that has everything the wife will want and easy to access wading flats with tailing fish, this is the place. Of course, fair warning, bonefish here are different than other places. The same flies and tactics don't often work, nor do the flats look the same. Ours are much more like those of the FL Keys: thick turtle grass bottom. You'll see fish tailing, but getting them to eat takes finesse... and the right fly. I'm not just saying that cause I'm a guide either. Just the straight skinny.

I'd provide my web site address, but I don't know what's allowed on this forum. Just do a search on Google for 'cayman islands bonefishing' and see what you find. My site has client pics, bonefishing tips, and local fly patterns. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate.

Tight lines,
Bonehead