natrix
04-04-2005, 08:47 PM
A Darkish Spey

Hook: Aleck Jackson Spey 1 ,1/2.
Tread: black 8/0
Body Rear: Black and green nylon floss
Rib 1 : Embossed French Tinsel silver
Rib 2: Danville’s oval Tinsel #10 gold
Body forward: Black Rabbit mixed with Peacock Mylar.
Hackle 1: Blue Eared Pheasant
Hackle 2: Black, dyed, striped, Ring Neck tail
Wing: Married goose shoulder

I know the wing is a little far forward, but oh well.

Natrix

Feiger
04-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Hey man - nice flies on BOTH posts!!!

Really like the married goose wings, may have to try that one...

A thought, and something you might want to try. In looking at your fly, it looks like your spey hackle is palmered such that it follows your flat, embossed tinsel. Not sure if you tied at the butt and palmered forward, or tied at the head and reverse palmered. Anyways, something I've often done when palmering the hackle with the flat tinsel, I've used a "body colored" wire as the locking rib for the hackle. If tying an orange bodied fly, i'll use an amber or orange colored wire; purple body = purple wire; black = purple, dark blue, or black wire. You get the idea. What I found is that colored wire "hides" in the body, and becomes less conspicuous. Sometimes, that's the effect I desire - less of the silver or gold color in the body. With this fly, with the dark body colors, a green or black colored wire would darken it up even more. I tend to like my flies with less flash from the tinsel rib components, and that's one way I go about it. You might give it a try, just to see the contrast in effect.

Regardless, very nice tie, and i do like the color combination of dark green and black!!

juro
04-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Nice and nasty! Should bring out the dark side in a fish as well.