Florida Keys [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Florida Keys

silverbullet
04-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Well after all of the help i got here I made my trip to the keys. I was not able to go after bones but still had a fun time. We did spend some time chasing fish with live shrimp and trolling , still took the flyrod out and caught a mix of fish. The best was a day when we had finished up with the shrimp and I picked up the fly and cast it out into the incoming tide, let the clouser swing under the bridge when it stopped dead,First thought..snag , then it started moving. 20 minutes later my first ever tarpon came to the boat. A few pics and back in the water to revive. Fish was the 30 to 40 pound range. After a few high fives I looked at the tippet and had to retie from the abrasions. I was done but my dad aid 6 more casts. well that proved to be agood idea as I hooked 3 more. These all bigger fish.Lost them all. Two at the jump and one ran me to the bridge. I am hooked on these powerful fish. Next time I venture down the score should be different as the 8wt will not be the gun used. Something a bit heavier next round.

daverob
04-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Congrats!!!! Tarpon are Awesome fish aren't they!?! So Sorry because now you are an addict like the rest of us. You'll spend the rest of your life chasing the Silver King with a fly rod. Glad you caught some fish and wishing you many more.

silverbullet
04-15-2005, 09:58 PM
That is so true. I want to go back already with a 10 wt in hand and get the big boys that broke me off. I loved it so much next time I go thats all i want to go after. My dad enjoyed watching me so much he is now going to get back into flyfishing. He was talking about getting a rod before i left. Look out next year, bigger fish to the boat for sure.

Jeff