April showers [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: April showers

Quentin
04-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Well, the good thing about all this rain is that it will dispose of most of the remaining ice and snow. Should help open up the lakes too, and will probably melt any ice left on the Housy backwater areas. The river is supposed to reach 4' above flood stage. Hope it doesn't wash all of our fish down to CT :D

Q

juro
04-02-2005, 11:41 AM
I tried to sneak out for some spey casting practice this morning but the water was behind the trees I am usually trying to wade past for my d-loop!

But my neighbor's lawn looked like a good spot to practice :)

Dble Haul
04-04-2005, 09:06 AM
The CT River is bulging.....no fishing there until several days from now.

Q, what's wrong if your fish come down here? :devil:

teflon_jones
04-05-2005, 08:13 AM
I've been out fishing a bunch of lakes/ponds in southeastern MA (Whitings Pond in N. Attleboro, Turnpike Lake in Plainville, Lake Pearl in Wrentham, Uncas Pond in Franklin), but nothing was really biting. There were some stocked holdovers in the pond at the end of my street and two guys each caught one small rainbow one day last week, but that's all I've seen. I haven't caught anything there, but I've been trying out my own flies (I just started tying a few months ago) so the fish are probably just looking at them like "what the hell is that!!?!?!?!??!?". Of course, Lake Pearl was still iced over a good bit when I hit it, and shore fishing is tough. Uncas Pond has been stocked, but yesterday was my first trip there and I didn't realize you can't really wade it! Next time I'll be bringing the float tube...

Uncas is one of those hunting & fishing club ponds that you could practically chuck a rock across. There's at least one club on it (maybe two). There is public access, though I had to really search to find it. There's a little gravel road that the stocking trucks must use that's open to the public. When you get to the water there's chain link fences on both sides, extending into the water, with big "No Trespassing" signs on them. But there is public access, which is rare in my experience on a club ponds. If anybody is interested in how to get to it, PM me and I'll be happy to provide details!