Airflow salmon/steelhead polyleaders... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Airflow salmon/steelhead polyleaders...

tws
04-01-2005, 07:03 AM
howdy flyfishers....

any of you steelheaders out there ever use the airflow polyleaders?

just askin' since I'm new to flyfishing and am trying to decide on the proper leader tackle for getting my line/fly down to the fish... I'd use some fluoro carbon tippet and all the joinery would be with loops as these leaders come with a loop at the end.

I'm thinking extra fast sinking would be the best choice. This I could use on my WF floating line.

thanks for any input.

tws :rolleyes:

admin: non-sponsor hyperlink removed (please read site policy again)

Moose
04-01-2005, 07:21 AM
...and about the best piece of advice I can give is this: You need to use a line with a short front taper to turn over the heavier poly's. If you use a line with a longer, finer taper you will have difficulty turning over the heavy fast sinkers, but matching a line like the Airflo Delta or 40+ with them works well. With spey lines I'm using the 10', 24# salmon poly's on 8 weight and up, and the 10' 12# trout poly's on 7 weight and under. On single hand shooting head type lines the same goes, and for trout lines (4 through 7 weight) I'm using the 5' light trout poly's. These work wonderful for those times (many, for me) when you do not need a full sink tip or sinking head line, and the x-fast poly's seem to get down about as fast as a type 6 tip and cast much nicer.

juro
04-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but Moose I wonder how the Airflo 40+ would cast with the right polyleader?

This is not to imply the line should not be lengthened (it should) however it might be an interesting experiment.

Leland Miyawaki
04-01-2005, 09:23 AM
This last winter, I fished an Airflo Delta full floater with a 10' extra fast sinking polyleader with an addition of a four foot tippet. I was pretty happy with the performance and results. For me, it was a pleasure to cast and fish because I was able to shelve my tips.

Leland.

BigDave
04-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I use them a lot. I also like the RIO version with the welded loops. Seamless connection to the line and they turn over great.

I have some from 4 years ago and they are still in great shape.

tws
04-01-2005, 05:27 PM
thanks everyone for the information...

I think i'll have a look at the Rio polyleaders as well...

tws :)

Moose
04-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but Moose I wonder how the Airflo 40+ would cast with the right polyleader?

This is not to imply the line should not be lengthened (it should) however it might be an interesting experiment.

I had that very same thought. I think I'll contact Mike and see if he minds me putting a short loop on the line tip. The line doesn't need any extra weight at 552 grains already, so I'll try some long light ones first and work my way up.