need Maine advice [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: need Maine advice

davew
03-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Help! I'll be travelling from Washington state to Booth Bay, Maine, for a week in mid-June to spend time with my in-laws (joy!). Can anyone help me with advice on where to escape for a fishing day trip? I'm open to fresh or saltwater, and I won't have access to a boat. Thanks.

juro
03-31-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm sure the maine-iacs will chime in but as a former computer systems consultant to Bath Iron Works in Bath, ME (USS Arleigh Burke Aegis Class Destroyer) I can say you will in fact find some 'joy' that time of year where you are going to be.

Not only will you become very fond of lobster rolls and blueberry pie but the striper fishing will be pretty hot within a very reasonable drive.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Boothbay+Harbor,+ME

Looking to the southwest you will see Reid St. Park, also Popham Beach. Further to the south you will see Casco Bay, and a myriad of inlets and tidal channels that creates a longer total coastline (if straightened) than several other states combined.

My favorite is Popham Beach, although Reid can be very productive. The Mouth of the Kennebec is a good spot when the bait is there.

I will defer to Chris, Drew, and the gang - they might even meet up with you if you return the favor in the event they visit the northwest sometime.

Dble Haul
03-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Ditto Juro's comments on Popham Beach. June is a great time to be there, and the wade fishing is quite good on the right tides.

gunner
03-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Hopeully by mid June the stripers will be up in the Kennebec near Augusta and Waterville. I'm learning how to spey cast and hope to be able to catch some that way instead of having to throw hardware :hihi:
PM me and I'll send you a few links to Maine fly fishing sites.
Joe

kennebecfly
04-01-2005, 04:47 AM
As Juro said, June is a great time to be in Maine the fishing is starting to really heat up.I spend alot of time on Popham beach from the fort to the Morse river also Reid state park. Bait season does not open untill july first so the beaches belong to the fly fishers and plug casters. Both my brother and I would be glad to show you around when you come up. You will have agood time in booth bay Harbor its a fun town.

Chris
04-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Hey Dave,
Welcome. as the guys said above you'll be coming in at the right time. Rather than rehash a lot of stuff I've offered before I'd suggest you search this site with the keywords Kennebec/ Popham and Maine and you should get a fair amount of info on the general area you're visiting and some on a bit of southern Maine as well. Feel free to PM me as the time nears and I'd be happy to talk more. I'd be happy give you my phone number if you'd like to talk live and perhaps even meet for some fishing. :cool: