Gluing felt soles [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Gluing felt soles

josko
03-27-2005, 03:58 PM
It's time to put on new felt on my Patagonia wading shoes. I got a pair of Simms felts; instructions say to put them on with contact cement. Fine, except the old felts are not worn uniformly - they're much thinner, i.e. gone near the edges and still 1/4"+ in the middle. Should I try to remove, or at least even out the thickness of old felts before gluing new ones on? If so how? Belt sander???

If anybody's done this befor eand could share a few hints, I'd much appreciate it.

flytyer
03-28-2005, 04:12 PM
I've replaced felt soles many times. The easiest way to get rid of the remnants of the old felt is by using a wire brush wheel on an electric drill. This makes quick work of taking off the old felt. A belt sander can be used, but be careful because it cuts a lot faster than the wire brush wheel on an electric drill. And the drill can be finessed through varying the speek to help you remove only what you want.

I used to use Barge cement to glue the new felts on; however, Gorilla Glue is much stronger and easier to use. It is a contact cement that is carried by the big box Home Depot and Lowe's as well as most local Ace Hardware stores.

Stuff the shoes with newspaper, put the glue on the felt, put glue on the shoe bottoms, when tacky, place the felt soles on the shoes. Then use Duc Tape to hold the new felt soles in place until the glue dries (I leave mine overnight). After the glue has dried, trim the sole to fit your shoes with a sharp utility knife.

Salmon Chaser
03-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Oddly enough i just did this over the easter weekend to a 3 month old pair of Redingtons. The duct tape flytyer mentioned works well because you can apply pressure over a broad area. The only concern i would have would be with Gorilla glue. It will work, and work well, its just that it is an expanding poly glue and if you heap it on it will expand and ooze(sp?) out from under the felt and will glue the tape to the sole, boot etc :frown: . Practice on a piece of carpet to know how much to use so you dont get into one he** of a mess. Thats my 0.02
I used Marine goop on mine this weekend. Good stuff too.

P.S. Curious as to why you went with a simms felt and not another Patagonia??
Does it fit the contours o.k.???
Good luck
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>