The Essential Angler - In Conclusion [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: The Essential Angler - In Conclusion

DEERHAAWK
03-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Some of you know that I work in the construction industry, not in some stuffy office somewhere, but out in the field. At the job I am on now, we are outside for 8 hours each day. Todays work was not very tedious, so I decided to do an experiment. I dressed in jeans, short sleve t-shirt with a long sleve micro-fleece top. Over that I had a Expedition weight fleece vest and a long sleeve fleece pullover to top it off, both vest and pullover had high collars. Waterproof boots and cotton socks, Micro fleece skull cap, and finger-less gloves, hunter style with fleece tops and neopreene palms.
It rained moderatly for about 80% of the day, the ambient temp. was 45 degrees. I felt at no time cold, wet, or in any way uncomfortable. Now some would say "Well, Hawk, you work outside all the time, your used to it" and those who bring this up would be right. There is something to be said for spending alot of time outside. You get "climatized" and over time that can be to your advantage. But the point I will make here is that, baring injury or exaustion, a person who is PREPARED for the elements that he or she might encounter while on that Fishing Trip of a Lifetime, could easily move great distances, even in inclement weather, to reach his or her destination!
Each person and each situation is different, but having the advantage can be the key the difference.
A friend who is an avid Bowhunter brought up a good addition for the survival kit. When I gave him the short list, he asked about the space blankets. I told him that they could be used for shelter/warmth. He said to get a 10x12 piece of heavy plastic and use that for your shelter, leaving the space blankets both for warmth. Fold the plastic as small as you can, then compress with a heavy object to flatten and keep in the bottom of you kit, less the heavy object :chuckle:

The season rapidly approaches! We here in the N.W. are getting some much needed snow in the mountains, and I hear that the rain has got the Big Fish on the run! I hope that all the members of the Forum have a great season, a safe season, a productive season! Just remember, when you leave, leave prepared!

Deerhawk

fcch
03-27-2005, 04:38 PM
DH,

Caught the thread late, ... You have done an excellent job here. I like that importance that you put on preparation. Sure, some would say we work outside, ... me in the forest, so we are used to it. Not true, ... being mentally and logistically prepared is a constant "effort". Not some time consumig exhausting effort, more like living and working while always thinking safety (like on the job site).

The greatest thing about being prepared isn't usually saving someones life in a dramatic fashion and getting filmed by some TV crew ... . Its more often when a small insignificant event, say a small cut, just gets taken care of right away and we keep on fishing. Instead of hiking back to the truck, realize there's no kit, drive back to town and ruin a whole day's trip.

DEERHAAWK
03-29-2005, 09:50 PM
Good evening,
Tonight when I got home, the news was reporting a story of a man who walked out of the wilderness today after becoming stranded.
The incident took place in the Mt. Adams wilderness in Washington state. The gentleman, a Forest Service employee became stranded on Sunday in a remote area while scouting possible cross-country skiing routes. Thinking he could walk out and being familiar with the area, he began the trek, but soon became disoriented in the extreme weather conditions that he encountered (rain in excess of 7-8") walking in a circle and ending up back at his truck!
Deciding to re-group and spend the night in the vehicle, he started out again yesterday morning, as the conditions got worse (rain turned to snow to the tune of 12") and made the 30 mile hike down a valley that emptied out at the Lewis River, eventualy returning to the town of Cougar, Wash.
An amazing journey for for even the most seasoned outdoor vetran to make. And to what did he atribute at least some of his success to?
He carried a Survival kit in his truck! That gave him some of the tools he needed to make that journey a productive one...... one that he will be able to tell.
3 days..... in extreme conditions..... just out looking for the ski trails!
I'm tellin you people, thats how it happens.....And the bottom line is, you need to be PREPARED!
I just want to take a second to thank Chris Chin for his input in this series, all good stuff from a guy who KNOWS! Chris, I hope you and I can throw flys at Trout sometime!
Deerhawk

juro
03-30-2005, 06:40 AM
Great points Deerhawk!

During times of thick fog on the flats or in a dense rain forest oxbow, it's amazing how disoriented one can become. A good GPS really demystifies the confusion if you have one available in these situations. I find myself using GPS in near disbelief that I am progressing in the right direction until a familiar landmark appears, proving how deceptive dead reckoning perception can be to the human mind.

However if injured, only preparedness can help you. If you can't walk knowing where you are is useful but not a cure.

fcch
03-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Juro,

The GPS was a neat invention to help out, ... Just remember, weird things can happen to a GPS, so try not to follow along blindly the directions it gives. One should ALWAYS know where one is while moving.

On flyin's, you should always know where you are. If the plane goes down, ... are you closer to the camp or the base? Where's the last road you flew over?

Floating ... Where are we ?? where's the closest pull out. See any habitations along the way. Crossed under any roads ? If the boat gets dumped, are you closer to a nearby road downstream or the ranger station upstream ??

A GPS is handy for this as you can punch in key reference points as way points. Get into trouble, ... hit GOTO nearest Waypoint in the menu (they ALL have that).

When I goe exploring using a GPS for the route, I'll ALWAYS have the compass out to have a better "situation awareness" ... Old school I guess. :wink:

DH,

Your home waters are sort of on the other side of the continent, but you bet, ... if the opportunity arises, I'll certainly look for you. :)