Coconuts... or just plain nuts. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Coconuts... or just plain nuts.

bonehead
03-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey, just saw this on the tackle list thread and thought it was a great idea.

"One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a small pack hatchet or machete. You really only need one for the party, but it's nice to be able to crack into the occasional coconut without someone getting injured."

Ok, here's the proper way to crack a coconut... in case anyone's interested. First, if you just want the water, green coconuts are the best. Of course, these are usually still in the trees, so someone must get them. You can try throwing that hatchet or machete, maybe you'll knock one down. Personally, I try to find a short coconut tree. Then climb it (or better yet, bet my buddy a couple Kaliks that he can't climb it) and twist or cut a couple down.

Good, now all you need is a big rock. Place it on the ground and bang the bottom of the nut hard on the rock. Hopefully this will crack the still soft kernel. This isn't nearly as hard as Hanks lets on in Castaway. Young coconuts are soft and crack easy. Let the water drain into a cup or drink straight from the source (like we used to do on hot summer days while cleaning fish on the shores with my grandfather).

If you can only get ripe coconuts - which are brown or gray and often looked dried out - then the job gets a little harder and hardly worth it if you have cold Kaliks on hand.

Nutty,
Bonehead

Geordie Shanks
03-24-2005, 12:08 PM
That is a sweet play-by-play on how to do it. Good to know for the next time I'm passed out near a coconut tree. How does the milk mix with vodka, or say some Chivas?

arubaman
03-26-2005, 05:25 PM
with all my heart, straight from the coconut islands (caribean) I would recommend it with some sugarcanefluids. The best sugarcane fluid would be rum. I can not imagine russian or irish folks inventing their drinks to be consumed combined with local stuff. Rum would be the best.....
Malibu???