Reel Help? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Reel Help?

Jakerthesnaker
03-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Hello all,

Looking for some insight into the Orvis BK Mid Arbor series. I am trying to get my 'salty six' ready and cannot decide the reel. Is there any reviews or comments from users anywhere on the web or are they too new for comments. I was looking to fill the BK mid III with some #30 gel spun and get some extra spools with lines for bones as well as bass.

Any insight into the performance of this reel in the salt would help, even if the thing is a stinker, it would alleviate problems in the end.

Thanks for all the help,
Jacob

Steve_sullivan
03-23-2005, 01:19 AM
Ya know, if you order from a orvis dealer, keep your receipt, find it unacceptable, Orvis will give you your money back. I have the orvis battenkill barstock, and find it very satisfactory for steelhead. I would expect the mid arbor to be a very good deal.

BigDave
03-23-2005, 09:37 AM
I'm sure that reel would be great for FW but it's ability to withstand SW environment is a question mark. The warranty won't help you if you're hundreds of miles from a fly shop in the carribean and your drag freezes up on a big bone.

If you're set on that price range I would be more likely to go with a Tioga. No frills but a reliable drag and proven SW performer. Or look at Old Florida reels.

Personally if I was going to invest $$ in a bonefish trip I would want a SW-specific reel that was up to the task (tibor, abel, bauer, sage). These will be more $$ tho...

Spock
03-31-2005, 04:45 PM
you could also get into the radius reel they hold lots of backing and are very dependable