Rhody IceBreaker [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rhody IceBreaker

RayStachelek
03-22-2005, 01:14 PM
It's about that time to think about the annual gathering of hard-core, ice in the teeth, industrialized bass fisherman. We're still a few weeks away from the first run of holdover fish to move out, but now is as good of time as any to chew a few ideas around.

As most of you know, the Seekonk River is very tide dependent. The window of fishability generally allow us to fish about 2 1/2 hrs. Not a lot of time considering that most fishers come from fairly long distances. After the tide fills, it's impossible to wade and reach the channel with our flies. At this point, only Juro can reach with his two hander and mamouth 140 feet cast. The fish are still present but some move to the northern flats which isn't wadable.

So I propose that we collectively extent the day somehow to keep the gathering together.

If some of us who live nearby, trailer, and have our rigs ready for the season, we could launch a mile down river. We could pick-up waders, rotate them to a short boat trip and fish over deeper waters. We could do this throughout the morning giving everyone a chance at some boat fishing.

Adrian suggested at the Wilmington Show to include yaks. Launching on site creates no problems at all. Once again if you have Yak experience but don't have a shell, maybe we could use the same type of rotation and keep changing people.

We could also extend the date later down the calender opening up more spring fishing in other areas of RI. There are plenty of good early springs places well withing our reach. That might be another option. We also might have more boats available at this time since many of us will be in the water.

We usually like to get a bite to eat afterwards from fishing. This might not be feasible now since we may be trailering boats and portaging yaks. Just a thought.

Your impute is important to the success of this gathering.
Do you have any ideas to help support this affair? This will kick start the fishing season for most of us, especially for those further north of us? All inquires will be evaluated. Steve (slinger) and I will compile this information and some how come up with a formula and a game plan that serves us all well.

Ray

RayStachelek
03-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Future information and roster

Nick
03-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Yaks sound great and if I haven't left for the wedding/honeymoon, count me in! I love the Rhody Icebreaker!

jfbasser
03-22-2005, 07:18 PM
I will be there...just don't forget that breakfast spot from last year :biggrin:

Adrian
03-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Me too :D

I guess I missed the fun last year but having beaten my drysuit into submission :lildevl: I'm looking forward to lots of early season Yak activity.

For those planning to paddle, remember that cold water gear is critical this early in the season.

Smcdermott
03-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Boat gets delivered on the 2nd. Depending on the date I should be available.

Sean

Slinger
03-23-2005, 01:10 AM
I`m in, don`t know which boat I`ll have but I`ll have one of them.
Ray, I`ll get in touch with you by the weekend. Good tides for a prelim this Sat., Moon low at 1:30PM, if it dosen`t snow!
Slinger

TimSt
03-23-2005, 06:07 AM
Might make it depending on the date; don't think the boat will be ready though, due to other commitments.

Breakfast after freezing our butts off is mandatory :)

porkslice
03-23-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm in . Ray let me know what I can do to help.

Jimmy

rel1
03-24-2005, 09:19 AM
Count me in also, unless the date is in June- I have a commitment towards the end of June. Ron

grizz0707
03-24-2005, 10:01 AM
count me in depending on the date

Doc Duprey
03-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Capt. Ray,

If the date works...I'm there!

Best regards,

-Doc

mikez
03-24-2005, 08:58 PM
Dam, sounds like you guys had a prosperous winter! Everybody's buying boats!
Looks like I'll have the jetties to myself this season!
I'll be happy if I've got a vehicle that will make it to Rhody.

I might be interested in some early season action. Do the little schoolies still pile up against the West Wall in late April? Years back a southwest wind in late April could provide 50 fish days at the Wall, although they'd be 12 inchers mostly. Haven't done it for a long time. Don't know if it still happens.

TimSt
03-24-2005, 09:19 PM
It still happens Mike; I'll be there with 100 of my closest friends to welcome the little guys back.

Slinger
03-25-2005, 12:41 AM
Mike, you get to Prov and then leave the driving to me. You don`t have to get to Jeruselem, starting next week all the schoolies, with a few cows thrown in, are right in town.

mikez
03-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Only 100 of your friends Tim?
I guess I'm getting old. Seems like yesterday there were only 25 of them out there to greet the little schoolies.
I actually find it a bit fun for the first one or two times to be part of the crowd, especially when everybody's catching fish. We have a similar situation up here at the mouth of the Merrimack when the first migrants arrive. I usually join the conga line one time as a right of Spring then seek more isolated spots for the rest of the season.

Say the word Steve! Once the fish are in, if I'm not covering weekends at work I'm there.

rel1
03-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Steve- I stopped by the area after getting my truck back from the garage, and the barriers are there again and I didn't see any way down and around by the factory. Also nobody out trying and the tide was just about right. Of course I didn't have a rod with me so I couldn't try. Ron

Slinger
03-26-2005, 03:26 PM
I went in by the dairy and had no problem. There were 3 other guys there, but the waters still a little too cold, not a hit. A few Killies up on the flat so it won`t be long now.
Ray and I talked it over and figured that 4/23 would be the best day for the Icebreaker. It`ll be a 1:30 afternoon , moon low. No need to rise early and the warmest part of the day. This is as close as it gets to a guarantee. Lots of holdovers and plenty of fresh fish, plus cows will be following the herring. All the ingredients for a big day.
Slinger

TimSt
03-26-2005, 03:52 PM
4/23?? Hmmmm, the wife and kids will be out of state, and I'm supposed to be doing some interior painting.

A guy has to have his priorities though; I'll see you there!

Tim

bonefishmon
03-28-2005, 09:30 PM
I'll be there once I get directions. I'm writing from the OP in Washington. Rained like crazy here but it didn't stop us from fishing. My son Tim and I fished all the rivers that were open all the way down to the Hoh Rain Forest. Really low all week and we got drenched on Saturday while all the rivers were blowing out. Beautiful country! Thanks all who contributed info for this trip. We had two hookups but lost both and they were on the Sauk in the Cascades. Yup. Hit the Skagit as well. All and all an excellent time on the water. No one I talked to caught fish wading. I'll be for another shot in August! It's time to brake the skunk! Let the striper season begin!

Phil

Smcdermott
04-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like I am going to have to miss this if it is the 23rd. It was the only Saturday appt. I could get for the first service on the new motor.

Sean

RayStachelek
04-08-2005, 03:02 PM
I'll try to provide more information and details sometime this weekend about the Rhody IceBreaker. One thing is for sure, it's going to be Saturday, April 23rd.

Trout season opens tomorrow (Sat.) in RI. Must gather some equipment now.

Sean, We're going to miss you, and your new ride more importantly. :hihi:

Smcdermott
04-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Sean, We're going to miss you, and your new ride more importantly. :hihi:

Nice to know I will be missed ;) .

Sean

RayStachelek
04-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Hey Gang,

Just got this PM from Slinger. Important that I pass this information on.

Ray, I went to the river and was gonna wade the flat. The EP police were there and ordered me out and said they would arrest anyone found in there, he spent a couple of hours patroling that area. This time they look like they mean bussiness.
Steve

This property has now been blocked off with barriers. There are other ways of getting in as Steve knows. The problem is that this water front property is under going major changes in the future. I'm going to check this week at the East Providence Police Station to see if just parking inside is the issue. There is plenty of car parking outside the perimeter. I will check on walkin access and let everyone know. Oviously this could change the Rhody IceBreaker.

fliboy
04-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Ray,

Is the issue trying to shut down an area to park your car, or an access point to the water?

TL,

Dave

RayStachelek
04-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Right now Dave, The issue seems to be access of cars parking close enough to the fishing holes. Access by foot (short walk) doesn't seem to be a problem.
Need to check on foot access at the E.P. Police this week.

Launching Yayaks now is a problem of portaging a distance of maybe 500 yards.

rel1
04-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Ray,

Is the issue trying to shut down an area to park your car, or an access point to the water?

TL,

Dave
Ray- What's the word from the EP police regarding the access issue of the Seekonk river by the Henderson bridge. I hope we haven't completely lost this area. If we have lost it where is the Icebreaker going to be?
Steve, feel free to jump in also. Ron Lomas

RayStachelek
04-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Ron,

I've talked to several East Providence Patrol guys this week and both said walking into the area is not the problem. Entry with cars is since they have put up barriers. Same ole stuff, littering, young kids drinking, and dirt bikes.

It's still on for next Saturday. Will make a new post this weekend.

Thanks Ron for reminding me

Ray

Massflyfishing
04-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Can anyone help me out with a spot that I can wade fish? I haven't really fished for stripers in RI. I've stuck primarily in MA...

thanks

RayStachelek
04-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Christopher Puma..... Got your e-mail and your on the list for directions.

E-mails will go out at 8:30 pm Friday nite. Need to be on the access list to get a message. Any late procras can call me on the cell (401)323-5439) tomorrow for over the phone directions.

Steve, with a limited number of anglers, I too will leave the boat at home.

Perhaps after the tide floods we can all get a bite to eat afterwards and extent the event. There's a great Chinese Baffet close by and sinks to wash all that fish slime off our hands.

Ray

Adrian
04-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Sorry I couldn't get to this one - I'm sure you'll have a great time. Can't wait to see the pix :smokin: