Mackie Bug... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Mackie Bug...

tws
03-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Hi All..

I'm new to fly fishing and don't tie flies. I've built a rainshadow 8'6" six wt. rod and am struggling to rid my casting of tailing loops...

anyway I'd like to try my luck on some warm water this spring. What better way to learn to cast than to spot yourself at the far end of some little resevior and cast to small mouth bass, crappie and bluegills...

at least I won't be infuriating the trout and steel head anglers on the swift water where room to angle is becoming very dear.

Since I can not spend a great deal on flies just yet, I've settled on a few 'killers'. At least according to the accounts i read. some are: crystal buggers, clouser minnows, foam beetles and such.

Here is one fly that i think would produce well. It's called the Mackie bug. Has anyone tried this pattern? - image attached. Looks like it would take a variety of fish species.

the only ones i've found online are a bit dear in my opinion.

Maybe someone could steer me to a fly tyer who could tie me up a few of these in various hook sizes. :rolleyes:

thanks,

tws

Quentin
03-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Hi All..

I'm new to fly fishing and don't tie flies. . . .

Here is one fly that i think would produce well. It's called the Mackie bug. Has anyone tried this pattern? - image attached. Looks like it would take a variety of fish species.

the only ones i've found online are a bit dear in my opinion.

Maybe someone could steer me to a fly tyer who could tie me up a few of these in various hook sizes. :rolleyes:

thanks,

tws

Hi tws,

I haven't tried it but it looks like a killer panfish fly.

Are you saying that you don't tie flies yet, or that you don't want to get into tying flies? If you want to start tying your own (highly recommended) the Mackie bug looks like a good pattern to try. Only a few materials are required and the crappie won't care if the flies don't come out perfect :D .

There are plenty of helpful people on this site so feel free to ask questions and you'll be tying your own in no time!

Q

tws
03-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Actually, Quentin

I did tie flies many years ago but only briefly.

I reckon, now that i'm transitioning into fly angling I'll be finding the need to gear up and tie my own flies...

I like the looks of the mackie bug.

but the cost of a vise, bobbins, thread, hooks etc. is a little prohibitive just now.

maybe I'll be able to find some gear used on ebay or such later this summer.

thanks for the critque on this mackie fly. It sure looks good to me... maybe in sizes 10 thru 6

tws - marc forrest

Quentin
03-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Marc, I did the same thing -- tied when I was a kid, gave it up for about 20 years then started again a few years ago when I got into flyfishing. True, it can cost a bit to get started, especially if you decide to buy a high-end vise, bobbins, etc. at the outset as some people recommend, but it doesn't have to cost too much. I started with a cheap vise that I still use. Of course, I then spent a small fortune on materials :rolleyes: .

Q