OP advice please [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: OP advice please

tbuehrens
03-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Hey guys....my buddy and I are doing a spring break midweek trip to the OP this coming week. Other than the Hoh above 101, I don't know the water very well. We will most likely be walking and wading, and dont mind long hikes. I am definately not asking for spots or anything, but general advice on what rivers or parts of rivers would suit us well. I do not nymph fish for steelhead, only swing, so rivers the size and character of the dickey and hoko seem like bad choices. With the expected rain, we were thinking the middle and upper queets system would be good unless the water gets too dirty. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
-Tom

flytyer
03-18-2005, 11:49 PM
The Hoko can easily be fished by swinging flies, I've done so many times and have seen others do so too. Truthfully, pick a river, find some access, and fish after it rains.

Doublespey
03-19-2005, 12:25 AM
I think you'd be fine on the mid/upper Queets.

As all steelheaders know, it's a crap shoot with water conditions and migratory fish.

Good Luck,

Brian

Moonlight
03-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Looks like your best chance will be on the Quillayute system I doubt the Hoh and the other river will be fishable till very late in the week ,if even then.
Sometimes the Quinault above the Lake can stay clean enough but you would have to check it out and it for yourself.

Jumbo
03-20-2005, 03:29 PM
queets is shot for days after this rain. 21,500 CFS
sol duc or calawah are best bets or
head to the Hoh and pray for vis.

Luv2flyfish
03-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Concur - The Queets is Toast....and will be for a little bit. The Hoh is more than likely gone as well. In looking at the Quinault guage.....It came up a bit, but knowing the upper river - its probably not looking good either. This was a substantial shot of water (which is a good thing). If it dries up, mid week will be good, but if it keeps raining.....you're S.O.L. for the OP unless you go dig around the Calawah or Duc. I have no experience on either of those 2 rivers.

If hoh is in shape, you'll have plenty of foot access. Good Luck.

tbuehrens
03-21-2005, 12:21 PM
well....thanks guys...I will let you know how it goes.
:)
-Tom