Just another sandeel (for Europe) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Just another sandeel (for Europe)

AdrianV
03-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Some while ago Pete (Penguin) put me on the right track to weedless keel flies. Also a Dutch guy (Rene Sehr) showed me his flies and how he ties them with Unique Hair and DNA (both nice materials). Now I tied some and just wanted to show them.
Rgds Adrian V.

FishHawk
03-18-2005, 06:32 PM
You nailed it. Good work they will be real killers . FishHawk :smokin:

Penguin
03-18-2005, 06:59 PM
You have snatched the pebbles from my hand! :wink:

I've been known to eat fresh dead bait that didn't look nearly as fine as those tyez!
Nicely done... AdrianV
Cheers
PG

Slinger
03-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Most excellant! Very fishy looking and weedless to boot.
Slinger

Cascade
03-19-2005, 03:10 AM
I`m in Europe ! :devil:
Could really really do with those flies for the Moy Estuary !
Adrian, when you tie some more, remember your pals in Ireland ! :wink:
Beauties !
Cascade.

clouser UK
03-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Lovely flies Adrian !
They are better than my attempts, but i'm getting there.
What hook do you use? and, as was once asked of me, how long are they?

Dave :wink:

AdrianV
03-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Dave, I used a popper hook (Tiemco 511S) slightly bent with pliers and some Mustad hooks I still had, but without a label. I am still searching for the best hook, and I suppose the Mustad 34011 should do the job. I do not know if it can be bent without any problem, but I am sure others on this forum will be able to tell us (still need help Pete) I do not want to use a too heavy hook, such as the Tiemco 911S. We normally use 10-12 lbs tippets with #6 and #7 rods, the 911's might be too difficult to set.
On the size: these are tied on 4 hooks (bottom 3) and on size 2. The length of the flies is about 2-3 inches.

Cascade, if you want some send me a private message with your address. I will post you a couple as samples to tie from.

Adrian

clouser UK
03-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Cheers Adrian,

I haven't found a long shank hook yet, tried 911's but either i'm to heavy handed or they don't like being bent ! :razz:

So far the ones i've tied have been on Daiichi 2546's , i know there short shank but they take a bend well and are soooooo sharp!, and i don't think i've compromised the gape badly enough to stop hook ups.
Tried a few on Kamasan worm hooks ( for UK waters) and they will do for the size of fish we catch, but i don't think these would be any good for anything like Stripers and bluefish .

I really like the idea of bend backs for fishing round weed and rocks ( as all my marks consist of just that !) so i'm keen to get them right.

Keep us clued up on any more developments........i'm off surfing to find some 511's :rolleyes:

Dave :wink:

Cascade
03-20-2005, 05:04 AM
What a very kind gesture Adrian.
I shall fish them with pride, to the envy of my buddies !
Many thanks !

Cascade.

jamie
03-21-2005, 04:50 AM
Dave,

I have a bunch of partridge hooks which you might find fits the bill. Send me your address and I will post some to you.

Smcdermott
03-21-2005, 07:34 AM
I have found the Mustad 34011 to be a very good hook for this purpose. They are very malleable and the long shank keeps the angle to a minimum. I think you may find that you will lose a few hooksets with an extreme angle on a short/standard shank hook. Remember the material alone should keep the fly riding point up so you really don't need to put much of a bend in the hook. In the picture the middle and bottoms flies reflect the angle I would use. It looks like the others might be a bit aggressive in my experience. One other thing I like to do is use Bill's Body braid to wrap the shank.

Sean