Lady Caroline [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Lady Caroline

flytyer
03-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Here's an old classic spey fly, the Lady Caroline.

tip: flat gold
tail: G.P. red breast feather fibers
body: olive brown dubbing (
ribbing: 2 stands of oval gold 180 degrees apart
hackle: grey spey feather
throat: G.P. red breast feather
wing: bronze mallard
head: black or dark olive thread

Brian Simonseth
03-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Lady Caroline is one of my fav's

flytyer
03-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Brian,

One of my favorites too. I carry them #1.5,3, and #5 AJ's. I also tie them as low-water flies on Alec's Low-water Dee hooks in #5,7,and 9 (Daiichi 2131 #4,6,and 8, also known as the Veverka Low-water Hook). It is a fly I don't leave home without.

HenningL
03-17-2005, 01:51 AM
Lady Caroline is one of my deepest love affairs... It's interesting to see how the same fly can be tied in different styles. I have worked a lot on my spey the last two winters, and at times have been a bit frustrated. Now I start to get things under control, I think, and I see that the speys I tie now have the same general outline and style. So, my LC looks like this (the little split in the left wing annoys me, but hopefully the salmon won't turn the fly down because of it...). This one on an AJ 3/0.

t_richerzhagen
03-17-2005, 10:36 AM
No way the fish will even notice. You are a little too critical of your work, but that is how it improves. Keep improving.

juro
03-17-2005, 10:47 AM
HenningL -

That is a beautiful lady caroline, also a favorite of mine to tie and fish. Did you dye the hackles to taper to pink/orange tips?

HenningL
03-17-2005, 11:56 AM
HenningL -

That is a beautiful lady caroline, also a favorite of mine to tie and fish. Did you dye the hackles to taper to pink/orange tips?

Thanks, juro!
The hackles are natural grey heron, but part of the feather has a brownish colour. I agree they look "orangy" in the photo (actually it's a scan), but the colour is a bit deceiving.