Play safe !! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Play safe !!

fcch
03-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Ok I know, you've all seen my annual rant about safety on other boards, ... Just my nature I guess. :o

I've had too many late night calls from S&R to NOT ask. ... Us poor Canadians are just getting ready for the new season, ... time to put back into the packs all the odds and ends that got misplaced over the winter.

How's the first aid kit ???

If you're missing a few minor items, a unobtrusive incident can end a day out or send you home on the next plane VIA Blue Cross. :(

Dble Haul
03-15-2005, 11:57 AM
I have two first aid kits, one on the boat and one in the Pathfinder. I get first aid and CPR training annually at work because I'm on the safety committee.

I feel pretty secure with my situation. :)

Adrian
03-15-2005, 12:09 PM
I "usually" have one with me when I'm on a trip. Although not much good it would do me or anyone else locked up in the hotel room or in the car whilst I'm at the South tip of South Beach.

Last time I had CPR training I was in short pants :roll:

This is an excellent subject to post at the start of the season!

fcch
03-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Adrian,

It's one of my annual rants 'cause I'm one of the gang that gets called up in the middle of the night to go find those wayward souls who weren't quite properly prepared. (prepared can include knowing your limitations)

When travelling in some more "exotic" locations, I like to have the extra bagage. Small kit stays with me, EMS bag stays on the boat or in the truck. My EMS bag is full to bursting cause it can be difficult to find sterile stuff sometimes (Even in downtown San Jose).

I think I've had more "close calls" on my home waters though. You know, something happens and a few minutes later you get the shakes and think, "Man, ... could have had a situation there".:tsk_tsk:

I guess that best advice is to assume nobody is coming if you get stuck (so don't !! ) (but DO leave a "flight plan" with someone reliable. :))

We like to say "Play hard, Train for the worst, Come home safe"
Best fun you can have in the off season is to join the local ski patrol (if possible). In Canada the training is good to excellent, ... and you get LOTS of (real) practice.

Last years thread is here:
http://www.njflyfishing.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=2454

teflon_jones
03-15-2005, 01:42 PM
I have an Xterra so I got one free, same for my main fishing buddy. Otherwise, I'll tend to forget to bring one...

fcch
03-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Scott,

To have a bare bones kit on you at all times, seal it in a container and duct tape it to the suspenders of your waders. (over your shoulder and it'll never get in the way)

DEERHAAWK
03-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Good afternoon,
Right there behind my front seat, fully loaded and clearly marked!
An absolute MUST for anyone who travels to remote areas or on extended trips!
(In other words, anything 100' past the front door)
Good point man!

DH

fcch
03-15-2005, 03:03 PM
DH,

We have a neat regulation up here that says when travelling by light aircraft over remote areas, we have the right to carry tent, sleeping bag etc, food, firearms and several hundred rounds. Even post-9/11, I've only been refused boarding once and I took another carrier. (and the definition of "remote area" covers over 90% of the country ;))

Just a thought when our southern neighbours come up for fly-in outfitters. The pilot is supposed to have all that in the boot. Does he?