Chatham Light [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham Light

Redfisher
03-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Stopped by Chatham Light at about 5 pm last night ( I think high tide was around 2 pm ). The sand has really been shifting around this past week. The bar in front of the light has now solidly connected to the beach and is a long finger sticking out several hundred yards. There is a break about two thirds of the way out. The break looked about 100 foot wide and had a nice current running through it as evidenced by the rip on the down current side.

In addition to that finger there were two other finger bars on the way out to the ocean which form small coves. It's really "fishy" looking structure. (I'll have to get a digital camera one of these days.)

Has anyone heard any recent news on what's happening at the Southway.

Paxton
03-15-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm attending the 2 pm meeting at the Refuge on 3/22 and then hitting the Striblue tying demo at Orvis in the pm. Am planning on staying over night and plan on taking a hiking tour of the lighthouse area and of the new cut through South Beach on the morning/afternoon of the 23rd....really would like to see it up close and personnal, along with any other changes that have occurred.
Anyone interested in joining me for the excursion (weather permitting) on the 23rd? Maybe meet for breakfast prior and then walk it off :-)
Ron

FishHawk
03-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Ron wish I could take you up on that but after meeting and dinner I have to get back to Boston because of work. Looks like I 'll make my own scouting trip one of these days. See you at the meeting. FishHawk :smokin:

Rip Ryder
03-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Ron,

I will see you at the meeting, but I would be interested in walking out with you.
I have to work midnight to 8 on the 23, so depending on what time your heading out. Hightide is at 10:35am on the Outer beach, not sure if you were interested in high tide for the washover or Low tide to check out the formation of the flats.

I will talk to you more on the 22nd at the meeting.

Capt Keith

Paxton
03-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Keith.....Your company would be welcomed :-) I didn't check the tides, but either tide (high or low)would be interesting. Just want to see what and where the break is AND get out of the house before I sucuum to severe cabin fever.
Working 12 to 8???? When is it that you sleep :) See you at the meeting.

juro
03-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Keith and company -

You know it bothers me that I will be away during this important meeting. The walk to investigate the changes is another thing I wish I could do, if for no other reason than to feel the Chatham sands beneath my feet again.

I'm glad and relieved that there will be a good contingent present and confident that my concerns will be represented, thank you all for going when some of us can't.

Stevo
03-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Just want to see what and where the break is

Guys - if you do go can you take a couple of pictures and post them?