keys fishing? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: keys fishing?

silverbullet
03-10-2005, 08:25 PM
I will be heading down to Marathon the 25 thru the April 2 this year and I was told by my dad to bring my flyrod. Here is what I have; TFO 9'6" 8wt and a Redington AL 7/8 with wf8f orvis wonderline salmon steelhead flyline. My question is should I take a 6 wt too and can i use the existing line or change over to a saltwater line? I am also wondering about flies, leader, tippet etc that I may need as well. I am told that we will be fishing snook, redfish, bonefish and possible tarpon. We will be fishing both froma boat and wading. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Jeff

Dave17
03-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Don't know too much about fishing the keys but that steelhead line will turn into a wet noodle if you get a really hot day down there. It would definitely be a good idea to invest in a warm water line.

Good luck, let us know how you do.

SteelBoneguy
03-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Yeah I would search around and look for a salt line. You should be able to find one on sale online. You'll be a lot more happy in the long run. May even consider one of those slow sink, clear lines. How much backing you got on that reel? I've caught 2 bonefish in my life the second fish was in the keys a little over 5 lbs and man can they go... you'll be in shock how fast you will be in your backing :eek: When bonefishing with the guide we were using gotcha patterns w/ a tan wing but the tan wing was a darker tan and he put stripes or bands w/ a perm. marker in the wing. Fly was simple but caught fish. All the other fish we hooked into on our own w/ no guide: 2/3 different types of jacks, ladyfish, snappers, lots of cudas, and even one tarpon in the 50 range all were on the old reliable Chrt/Wht clousers w/ red eyes. Your 6 wt would work but ONLY for small fish little snappers and stuff, you hook into anything decent and you'll be in big trouble. Start prac. your double haul and casting directly in the wind at different angles. The wind never stops in salt water.

new yawk
03-12-2005, 08:57 AM
hey. pm me and i will help you... the 8 wt. is a good start, perfect for bonefish, snook, reds, jacks... but what kind of reel? how much backing? you need a warm water floating line, etc. ... send me a pm.

FlyJunkie
03-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Sounds familiar. I was down in Marathon and Key West last year the last week of March and first week of April. Casting in the wind is paramount. It's true, it never stops. I went down there with my 8wt and a regular bass taper WFF line. It didn't get crazy hot ( about 82 the hottest day) and the line was not a problem. Im not saying that a specific line wouldn't be a bad idea. I was catching small sharks with a shrimp pattern and never laughed so much. It's like being hooked to a bus, coasting down a hill. Your NOT gonna stop them at first. You'll need a reel up to the task. Not to mention backing. Lots of backing. Im my opinion, the 8wt almost seemed too light, but it's about the sport. Also, my advice is making sure you're reel has a good drag and make sure you practice casting in the wind. You will have a great time.