Early April trip on the cheap? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Early April trip on the cheap?

dewey
03-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Sooo.
Let's say you don't have much cash (let's cap it at a few hundred bucks), but you do have a week off in Late April. You are based in northern new england. You (obviously) want to go fishing. Where would you go?
Camping, long-distance driving, and general dirt-bagging are not a problem for you.
Ok, it's not you, this is a situation that confronts me. I am curious to know what you all think the best opportunities are for that time o' year.
I would prefer salt, but could stand some large freshie fish.
Anyone interested in joining me?
Thanks for the help!
-dewey

Adrian
03-09-2005, 04:47 PM
If you've got a kayak I would head for the lower Connecticut River coves. They should be loaded with Schoolie stripers by then plus the Pike bite is hot at that time. For a bit of a change and to get more use out of your non-resident CT Licence ( :lildevl: ) the Hendrickson hatch will be going gangbusters on the Housatonic by then also (likewise Farmington but I've only fished there once).

If you're really feeling adventurous you could hit the trout on Hendricksons in the a.m. and load up on schoolie stripers down in the estuary. :D

bluegillbob
03-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi Dewey!

Plattsburgh, NY has great lake and river fishing! Lake Champlain? Fished it alot when I lived at Plattsburgh. Lots of pike in that lake too! Great childhood memories! :)

Lots of SM bass in the Saranac River (near Plattsburgh)

Someday I will return and catch those "northern fish!"

juro
03-10-2005, 06:02 AM
Grand Cayman airlines was offering round trip nonstops from Boston for $249 lately. You could travel light with a solo tent, a backpack and a travel rod.

Round trip to Seattle is pretty cheap, not much more than GC... exploring the Olympic Peninsula right now would be fun, it's prime time for giant native steelhead.

A cheap domestic flight to Miami with a budget car rental could put you on the keys in no time, work your way down to Key West but book campgrounds ahead to avoid scrambling along the way. You might even get a mid-week spot on Bahia Honda, fishing at the front door.

A flight to the Texas coast with a little research puts you in tailing red territory, I have heard from reliable sources that this fishery is on fire. I am certain there are cheap hotels and car rentals are as little as $15/day at many airports in the US.

Or drive and hit a great lakes steelhead run, lots of fish right now.

Nick
03-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Head south and cut the cows off in Jersey!

bonefishmon
03-10-2005, 07:00 AM
$200 won't get you very much if that's the grand total. I love the Androscsoggin River at Errol in NH. You are also not far fron the Rapid River in Maine. Great brook trout fishing which won't last long due to the presentation of SM bass to that stream. Umbagog Lake is worth researching which the Rapid joins. A kayak or canoe is a must.

Phil

dewey
03-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Those are some god ideas. Thank you.
I think I might make a loop out of it and do a few things.
I could scoot down to the CT, catch some schoolies, then skirt the coast until I run into some big ladies. Then I'll wheel around for trout fishing in PA/NY with a hopefully a detour to Ontario tribs for steelhead. I probably don't have enough time for all of that, but I can dream.
gracias and I'll keep you posted.