Orage and Black Spey [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Orage and Black Spey

Shaq
03-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Another "true Spey" Bronze Mallard Wing

peter-s-c
03-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Nice job with the wings -- something I haven't mastered yet. Have you tried doing a Dee wing?

Shaq
03-06-2005, 04:56 PM
HAven't tried the Dee wings, that's next. Took me this long to figure out the Bronze Mallard. Looking for a few techniques to getting the head smaller

peter-s-c
03-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Looking for a few techniques to getting the head smaller

Still working on that too -- if you get it right, let me know how.

Charlie
03-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Shaq,

I donít think you need to work so much on getting your heads smaller, but finishing them a bit better. Try to make them a bit smoother and put on a few more coats of head cement. They are already very good. The head on the attached fly is probably the same size as yours; it just has a few extra coats of cement on it.

Keep up the great work. You have some good ideas. Love seeing your flies.

Charlie.

Shaq
03-07-2005, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=Charlie]Shaq,

The head on the attached fly is probably the same size as yours; it just has a few extra coats of cement on it.

Thanks for the complement. I love that fly you posted. I see you are on the flytying forum as well. As it pertains to cement. Do you use a black colored laquer? or a clear cement? I use a very thin cement so it soaks into the threads but it seems I can't get the number of coats right. Or maybe I lose patients with it. I see you fish the Gaspe. Do you live in New York or Canada. What is the best way to get to the GAspe? A friend at work and I have been thinking of going sometime in the next year or so.

Charlie
03-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Shaq,

I use clear. I keep 2 bottles on hand; one thin for the first coat and one thickened up for the second and/or third coat.

And yes I do fish the Gaspe. I live over near Buffalo, NY. To get to Gaspe I take the 90 to Rt.81. 81 up into Canada. Pick up the 401 and head to Montreal. Pick up Rt. 20 then Rt.132 and take that out to Gaspe. The Season opens the 1st of June. Three months baby! :D

Charlie

Shaq
03-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. I Live in Saratoga and can get to Montreal in 3 hours. How long from there does it take you?

Do you use a certain type of thread? The uni I use always seems to bunch up.

Charlie
03-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Shaq,

It's about 10 hours from Montreal to the tip of the Gaspe, depending on traffic.

I use Danville 6/0 thread. I think it gives you better thread control than Uni. You can spin the bobbin to make it thicker or un-spin it to make it lie flatter. I think the Uni thread is still great stuff; the 8/0 is better for trout flies.

Charlie.