FIRST TIME KAYAKER [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: FIRST TIME KAYAKER

dhaul
03-05-2005, 09:09 AM
I want to start fishing from a kayak around the Cape this year and would welcome any recommendations on boats. To narrow the field a little, I am more interested in a SOT boat. Price is not the biggest issue but ,as with anything, I am looking for the most bang for the buck. Thanks. :)

Penguin
03-05-2005, 01:52 PM
A few of the YAK purveyors on/near the Cape offer SPRING paddle daze...
A good chance to try BEFORE you buy.
Wider=Stability=Slower
Long/Narrow=Unstable=Faster
95% of my YAK'n is getting to where I want to get out to wade fish...
Landing a big stripe/blue from in/on your boat=some high stickin'=potential rod demolishion...(SnapCracklePop)
It's always nice to get a "good deal"...but...(don't be a dick)...support your local shop!

ps
IMHO...Don't go cheapo on the paddle...

Broadbill
03-05-2005, 11:13 PM
DHaul -

Drive before you buy. Your size, how, and where you fish all shape a buying decision. Hit the "sponsors" button above left. There are two good kayak outfitters who support this site. I've had nothing but positive experience with Billington Sea Kayak, one of our sponsors. They have a big old lake in their backyard and made comparing models easy.

To test boats side by side, there are a couple of in-water events in the next month or so. Bob Smith's Wilderness House is doing their kayak demo days on April 2-3. In the past they've done it at the BU fieldhouse and on the pond at Hale Reservation in Westwood. No info yet on their website, but a call might get you and update. If you're willing to stray a little further, on April 8-10, Kittery Trading Post is doing its annual in-the-water demo at the University of New Hampshire at Durham. Time spent paddling is more valuable than other input in the decision process. Good luck. There's no turning back.