Wilmington Show [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wilmington Show

juro
03-04-2005, 10:11 PM
This is coming up quick!

We will have our usual tying sessions and will need folks to take a shift at the booth. I figure we could split the shifts to morning, noon and afternoon so they are shorter (three per day).

Booth attendants job will be to recruit tyers to sit and tie along with our guest tyers and sell tickets to the drawings.

This year we will raffle off an Atlantis Surf-tamer 11ft 11/12wt two-hander at the booth, and any flies in our usual shadow box displays. I have three shadow boxes so if we can get people to donate flies we can fill them up as runner-up prizes.

Lefty, please bring the tables. I have the cool banner Mark Doogue donated a couple years back, a projector, and some chairs.

So far: guest tyers, hands-on tying, raffle and generally cool place to hang out.

Any ideas out there for something new or interesting this year on top of this plan?

Paxton
03-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Juro....I can be a "booth attendant" on Sunday, any/ some/all shift(s) you need. Will be there Saturday with Amy, so Sunday will be the best for helping out. Just pencil me in where you need help and let me know.
Ron

striblue
03-04-2005, 11:06 PM
As we spoke by Phone. I plan on being there both days so just let me know about the tying schedule and I will do the booth in between. Also help you set up and take down as usual.

Adrian
03-04-2005, 11:24 PM
I will be there Saturday/Sundayalso.

The Atlantis raffle prize will be a huge draw - better make sure we have a plentiful supply of tickets :D

I will bring some donor flies for the shadow boxes.

Paxton
03-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Juro...just an update re booth attendants...Amy is interested in helping with the booth attendant duties on any/all times on Sunday as well. She might be able to sell a few :-)
Please let me know ....I'll be there both days anyway and if need be, fill in a slot on Saturday if needed.
Ron

juro
03-07-2005, 07:19 AM
GREAT! Just got in on a late flight last night, so I haven't put a schedule together yet... will post and thanks all.

We could still use a few more folks to take a shift as there will be six and it would be best to double up or more as we do in other years.

FKrow
03-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Juro,

I will attend the United Fly Tyers of CT meeting on Friday evening Mar 11, 2005.

What is the banner or I.D. for your booth, (I asume it will be Fly Fishing Forum?).

I will pass the information on to the meeting group.

Regards,
Fred Krow

juro
03-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks Fred! Yes, we have a large forum banner on display. I will post the booth #before the weekend.

Lefty
03-07-2005, 01:09 PM
When is the setup? What's a good time to drop off the tables?
I have the usual St. Patricks schedule this year (actually bigger than usual) so it's tight for me. Let's work something out. I will be home on thurs. (St. Pats) during the day and then next chance is friday night.

Lefty

jfbasser
03-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Isn't the show this weekend (12th and13th) or am I looking at a Striblue calendar?

Adrian
03-07-2005, 02:33 PM
It is this coming w/e http://www.sportshows.com/Wilmington/wilmmain.htm, Saturday & Sunday.

Whos up for dinner on Saturday night? :smokin:

Lefty
03-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks, yes it is this weekend.
But my St. Pats statement still aplies. Seems lot's of people want to drink and be merry starting a week ahead of time.

KMcFly
03-07-2005, 07:18 PM
I can be available Sat. let me know what you need.

juro
03-09-2005, 01:36 PM
terry -

I will call to discuss rendezvous

thanks to all who have offered, I will try to make a schedule and contact you

Adrian -

Dinner sounds great, that place we always go to is nice, can't remember the name but it's great food at a great price and nearby.

Quentin
03-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Juro,

I'm hoping to be there sometime Saturday morning and will plan to spend an hour or two at the booth. Let me know what time you need me.

See ya Saturday!

Q

Chris
03-10-2005, 09:31 AM
I'll likely be there later on Saturday and agree with Adrian about dinner. Joe's American is always a good feed. See ya there. Hopefully this winter ends soon. We just got another foot of snow with more expected tomorrow and Saturday. I have nearly 3 feet in my dooryard.
Hurry Spring!!!

Paxton
03-10-2005, 06:56 PM
Juro, Regarding the Atlantis raffle, are you going to have a flyer or other info re specs/line recommendation etc. for the rod ? Might be a good idea to have, to promote the rod as well as the raffle.
Amy and I are still planning on going to the show Saturday and Sunday. Saturday may be iffy in the a.m., given the expected storm as we will have about an 1 1/2 hr drive.
Ron

Quentin
03-10-2005, 07:09 PM
I think I'm going to have to back out given the current weather forecast :(

Q

juro
03-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Juro, Regarding the Atlantis raffle, are you going to have a flyer or other info re specs/line recommendation etc. for the rod ? Might be a good idea to have, to promote the rod as well as the raffle.
Amy and I are still planning on going to the show Saturday and Sunday. Saturday may be iffy in the a.m., given the expected storm as we will have about an 1 1/2 hr drive.
Ron

here you go:

Intermediate whole lines:
Wulff Triangle tarpon taper 12wt (standard head length)
Airflo 40plus Beach two-hander in clear head blue running line
SA intermdiate 12wt (standard head length)
Intermediate speys in the 600-650 grain head range if over 50ft in length

Floating whole lines:
Hardy Mach I 10/11 (not MI plus) (50ft head)
Wulff Bermuda Triangle 12wt (warm temps)
Rio Windcutter with midsection removed
Vision Spey heads 38ft - very promising, in process of testing

Sinking whole lines:
Airflo 40plus Beach two-hander line

Shooting heads:
Airflo DI-7 11wt 45ft or 12wt 35ft fast sinking
Rio Scandinavian 8/9 cut to 38 ft
SA 12wt shooting heads, various densities

Shooting lines:
50# Rio slickshooter
new SW running line from Airflo
many others to choose from out there

Bottom line:
Lines should have grain range of 450-650 depending on head length, where a short line (35-38ft) should be on the low end and long lines can be much heavier (45-55ft).

more line info will be provided once new lines are tested (Skagit lines, euro shooting heads, etc)

juro
03-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Here's my first crack at booth duty... comments welcome:

Sat AM (9AM-12)
John Morin
Juro
(open)

Sat mid (12-3)
KMcFly
Adrian
(open)

Sat PM (3-6P)
John Morin
Juro
(open)

Sun AM (9a-11a)
John Morin
Juro
(open)

Sun mid (11a-1:30p)
Ron and Amy
Adrian

Sun PM (1:30p-4p)
John Morin
Juro
(open)

Tasks:

Sell raffle tickets to grand prize Atlantis two-hander, second prize shadow box of flies, third forum prize fly box.

Tie along sessions - the booth is generally set up as a hands-on tying area. Kids and girlfriends make excellent subjects for this as previous shows have proven. Striblue will be a big draw to the tying events.

Projector will be running with slideshows and dvds.

We'll also have some artwork on display.

bonefishmon
03-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Weather permitting, I will attempt a two hour drive to fill in for those who need a break on Saturday.

Phil

striblue
03-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Yes!!! Please!

juro
03-11-2005, 07:07 PM
John -

If that schedule is not going to cut it just let me know, sorry if I spread you too thin.

striblue
03-11-2005, 09:39 PM
No... this will work..just trying or hoping we can get more volunteers.

Paxton
03-12-2005, 07:45 AM
SNOW 5 to 10 #@!*@%!!!! JUro and John...Amy and I will be there Sunday for show and booth duty as scheduled.....not going to risk driving today, although the irresponsible kid in me almost succeeded in telling me to go today :-(

Chris
03-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Sorry, :mad:
I just can't make the trip. I've been out of work with a pinched nerve in my back, an ongoing deterioration of my spine. I can't risk having to push or hike right now. I'm aweful bummed. Next weekeknd is the LL Bean Expo- maybe I'll see some of you there.

Porkslice give a shout if you want to come up. Maybe do some tying like we talked about.

bonefishmon
03-12-2005, 09:48 PM
The kid in me decides to brave the weather. I drove from Mystic, Ct. right into the teeth of that critter and it spit me out the other end somewhere in Sharon, Ma..
I sensed some rain and took I-93 north to hug the shoreline for more rain. What luck! The show was fairly busy until mid afternoon and then slowed way down.
Juro, John Morin, Adrian and about five other members stopped by to assist. Sold some raffle tickets but not as many as we would have liked. Tomorrow is another story. All the people that did not show today will be there Sunday. Thanks to everyone involved for the opportunity to get better aquainted and hang out. What a great time!

Phil

Chris
03-13-2005, 08:29 AM
It has finally stopped snowing here, northern York County Maine. We got about a foot or so. Our plow guy did the road but for some unknown reason didn't do my drive. :confused: I've been cajolling the wife with some shopping if she'll spend the day with me. Maybe I'll get there today. :hihi:

Penguin
03-13-2005, 09:50 PM
I made it through the Boston Big Dig Tunnel of DOOM twice with NO cave in's / tsunamis / falling debris / physical damage...but I must say that even on a sleepy Sunday...Boston traffic SUCKS and too many MASS drivers are psychopathic...
I despise the aggressive tailgaiters and pity those who commute!
Good to see phriends and to anticipate better times to come!
Johnny Scissorhandz and Adrian Tyemeister inspired me to crank up my Binford 5000 hyper-vice and do some neglected tyin'...
7 more daze (and counting) 'till SPRING!!!

FredA
03-14-2005, 07:48 AM
It was good to finally meet LucyLu. Also good to see everybody else.

Penguin
03-14-2005, 08:10 AM
LucyLu (the mooch-pooch) and I celebrated our first anniversary yesterday...
Besides the show (where she got to enjoy all that attention), we went out to dinner and, as usual, I picked up the tab!
Just like us all...she truly enjoys a good belly rub!

Fred...gimme' a call when you're on the PharSide and ready to do some sandy recon...

Paxton
03-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Amy and I had fun at the show and "helping out" at the booth. Was great to just hang out and watch the master tiers (Adrian and John), chat with Fred, Pete and got to meet Lucy Lu and others.
Congrats on your anniversary Pete! :)
Also learned from Pete how to tell the sex of John's flounder flies....very informative!!! Maybe a new seminar next show. He must share this knowledge with others this spring! :chuckle:
All in all a great way to spend a winter day, great company, laughs and stories.
Ron
PS: Juro did his Atlantis demos in the parking lot....at one point, he almost caught a 2002 Toyota Camry, really don't know why he set his goals so low with that rod....he should have gone after one of the SUV's...maybe he had a light tippet??

DFix
03-14-2005, 10:31 AM
It was good to finally meet LucyLu. Also good to see everybody else.

Pete- Good to see you and the Reigning Queen of Area Sixty-One! She's a beauty! Adrian- Beautiful GP's out of your stable- wish I could've stayed and gabbed longer. Completely missed that there was a raffle, Juro- could'a used that long stick to help get rid of the pain in these old shoulders.

Fred- you were there Sat? Sun?

juro
03-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Got called on site this am; on the road at 5:30am today so will have to post raffle winner details when I get back to unpack the show stuff tonight, hope to have some images from the booth ready to go by then as well.

thanks for your patience; check again later tonight

Adrian
03-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Likewise - late home last night and work stuff consuming time today - but I'll get pics up later this evening. Great to catch up with old friends and put faces to new ones! Tied more flies during the course of the day than the entire winter! More later ............. :smokin:

FredA
03-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Pete, looking forward to reconn but it won't be for a few weeks. I have to go down to Acklins :razz: Friday and when I get back I'll have yard work to catch up on, if the snow ever leaves.

Dave, sorry I missed you. The wife made me bail at 1:00 pm (Sunday).

Did anybody see JFBasser at the show? He was supposed to tie my bonefish phleyes for me.

jfbasser
03-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Bonefish and a few 'Cuda flies awaiting....I was holed up at the Middleside this weekend with a touch of the flu :(

striblue
03-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Great to see everyone and I am glad we had some great help at the table. Now . spring is almost here and we will be off!