Trip of a Lifetime [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Trip of a Lifetime

seuss
03-03-2005, 08:13 AM
I'm looking for recommendations.

If money were no object and you wanted to bring a few friends on the trip of a lifetime, where would you go for:

-the best fishing
-the best guides
-the best scenery
-the best lodging
-the best food

I know it's tough to pick just one. But if you had to...who, what, where, when would it be?

teflon_jones
03-03-2005, 08:43 AM
I saw an episode recently of "In Search of Fly Water" where they went to the Seychelles, and it looked incredible. I think that might be my choice, though after the tsunami I'm not sure how those islands are doing. :( It's tough though, doing some spring creek fishing up in Montana would be right up there. There are some amazing lodges with great food and the scenery is hard to beat! I kind of did this recently when I went on a fishing trip (oops I mean honeymoon) to the Bahamas. It cost over $10K for the two of us (not including gear), but we did it figuring that it was a trip we'd probably never do again (at least before we're old!).

fcch
03-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Just for the fun ...

Mongolia for Taimen ... I know NOTHING about this species, but it looks fabulous. :)

Smcdermott
03-03-2005, 09:47 AM
For me I think it would come down to wanting to be the only ones in the area we were fishing. I think that takes the lodge scenario off the table. Next would be that I would favor salt water but that is a personal preference. That would leave me with a mother ship trip. I again personally like the sight fishing game so that would exclude the blue water stuff on the west coast. Final decision would be Bahamas or some of the Indo Pac stuff mentioned above like Seychelles. I think there are still enough unexplored areas of the Bahamas but you can hook up with top rate guides and I would think a good chef. Kaufman's has a package in there catalog that runs about $3500pp for the week but not sure if that means you are the only 4 anglers on the boat at that price.

Sean

FredA
03-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Seychelles looks real appealing. I think I'd like to bounce around in one of those mother yachets.

Smolt
03-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Kola Penninsula for atlantic salmon. That would be enough for me. I could eat peanut butter, sleep on the groung (maybe not the ground), and learn to speak Russian. The scenery would not require a compromise. I m hoping 2006 is the year.

Moonlight
03-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Honestly I would just fish right here close to Home!!! :hihi:

Adrian
03-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Two scenarios at extreme ends of the spectrum:

1) The "full works" at Tulchan Lodge on the River Spey in late May.

2) DIY off some remote Indo-Pacific Atol .... no hotels, guides, etc.,...

Dave17
03-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Did Belize last year and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Victoria House, five star accomodations and dining. It used to be a hardcore fishing lodge but has been completely renovated to attract the honeymoon crowd. They still have all their fishing and diving connections though. Top notch bonefishing by day (I only saw one other flats boat the whole week), incredible dinner in a formal dining room and then an awesome party scene in San Pedro :lildevl: :smokin: . Cheap too, $2500 per person for a week all inclusive (fishing, lodging, meal package, airfare) with another $500 for tips and odds and ends.

Eddie
03-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Kau Tapen on the Rio Grande in Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina
Porinui Ranch on the N.Island, New Zealand
The Frontiers operation on the Ponoi (kola peninsula, Russia).
Flamingo Kay on the West side of Andros
Hmmm, maybe something on the Dean River or Babine?
The Henry's Fork Lodge is very nice.
The estancia Arroyo Verde on the Traful in Argentina is stunning, but the fishing can be hit or miss.
Hmmm, money were no object....donate a hundred grand to the Nature Conservancy and have Palmyra Island all to yourself for a couple of weeks. Have a sweet chartered yacht meet you their and live aboard. No need for guides, the bones are hitting on bare hooks at your ankles. Now that would be sweet.

:smokin:

Ragatz
03-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Loads of possibilities --

Villa Maria Estancia for Sea Run Browns -- similar to Kau Tappen...
Ponoi River for Atlantic Salmon -- Looking at this trip for 2005.

Christmas Island for Bones -- might be a nice place.
Seychelles would be just fantastic and agree the this would be the place.

Masheer (sp) fishing in India. Only have seen photo's of the places and fish.

Taimen in Mongolia is fantastic. Dad went and landed one about 54". Almost looks like fishing in Montana only the fish are larger :D

Arroyo Verde is very nice place to fish and as Eddie noted fishing is hit or miss.
San Huberto Lodge and fishing the Malleo is very nice. Almost any trip to Argentina is a good choice. Plenty of places to fish around San Martine.

La Primavera -- (Closed as Ted Turner ownes this I believe) -- This is the other side of the river that Arroyo Verde fishes. FIshed this place once and it was wonderful scenery.

Cheers - Hansen

bonefishmon
03-09-2005, 07:24 AM
Mothership. Crew of four. Two top notch guides. West side of Andros Island, Bahamas. Two weeks. One is not enough! $3500 pp per week. They will also do Acklins Island.

Phil

CraigSC
03-09-2005, 09:00 AM
I'd split my time between the Coppermine and the Tree rivers in the Nunavit Territory for sea-run arctic char. No champagne or caviar needed. Just a side arm and a sleeping bag. I'll eat char and drink river water!

Mike S
03-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Seychelles

For some photos go to:

http://community.webshots.com/album/261455134kNdkQH

http://community.webshots.com/album/261479592FuYHZs

Mike

bluegillbob
03-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Plattsburgh and Rome NY. I lived there as a child, and know how/where to catch them. Throw in a jon boat w/ a trolling motor, and I'll be fine!

Any lake in the Adirondacks would be welcome!

juro
03-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Tough one to answer...

Wildest of the wild steelhead in Kamchatka, Spey fishing the classic atlantic salmon fishery in Scotland with Malcom or Ian, or the remotest of tropical expeditions, a barefoot roosterfish hunt on Cabo beaches, monster browns in Patagonia, trout madness in New Zealand or the American West, just to name a few...

I would have to change this answer each year, since no one venue could surpass another in the scope of a lifetime.

This year, since the winter has been so brutal, it would have to be a tropical expedition to a place where the fishing for bonefish and other gamefish is untouched by human presence. Perhaps somewhere like Acklins :cool:

Ask again next year and it might be the Skeena... or some secret ocean inlets off British Columbia where 30-40 pound chinook feed in 20ft of water... or...

Tod D
03-10-2005, 09:57 AM
In no particular order:

Kamchatka (Kola penn. would do in a pinch)
Seychelles
New Zealand
Alaska
Nunavit

seuss
03-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks for all the tips! More confused than ever!

Mike S
03-11-2005, 05:26 AM
I would like to take the time to re-answer your question. My first suggestion to you was the Seychelles and I need to take that back. The best of the Seychelles in meeting all you needs is the Alphonse Island resort. I have heard from reliable sources that they are not all that they are cranked up to be. In fact, both the lodge and fishing service have had changes in the recent past to make up for reputation loss. I understand that at the lodge, service and food, are still marginal in relation to what they claim it should be. I have done the mothership thing and it is nice, but lodging on a boat, except a cruise ship, is cramped and hot. While the food is fine, it isn’t the best.

So, without a doubt, may recommendation to you would be a top notch lodge in Alaska, in particular in the Bristol Bay region.

Money is no object and these fellows aren’t inexpensive. They can offer you and your friends exactly what you asked for.

-the best fishing - These guys will fly you out each day to the best fishing in the area. That means that you will fish for multiple species on different days.

-the best guides – These guys can and do hire some of the best guides in the business.

-the best scenery – A verbal description can’t give justice to Alaskan scenery from a small airplane on a clear day.

the best lodging – Go on the internet and look. These lodges are nice. The weather outside when you are fishing my not be the best, but at night you will be more than comfortable and pampered.

-the best food – These guys hire some excellent chefs. Fresh stuff in flown in daily from Anchorage with the arriving clients.

Mike