: My preliminary gear list

juro
01-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Rods, reels
--------------
1 x 5pc 8wt Rplxi 890-5 (carry on)
1 x 3pc 9wt Rplxi 990-3 (packed)
1 x 11ft 9w CND Atlantis 1109A (packed)
1 x 11ft 11/12 CND Atlantis 1111A (packed)
1 x reel (shopping for a new bonefish reel) (carryon)
2 x larger reels (packed)
* x lines: (separate list)

misc packed:
----------------
1 x tying kit (separate list)
1 x first aid kit
2 x handheld gps (1 packed, 1 carry) - charging units
1 x vhf radio, or cheap 2-way
1 x sunglass cleaning kit
1 x aquaseal tube
1 x bugspray or goo
1 x swiss army knife
1 x whistle

1 x chestpack
- hydration insert
- stainless hemostats
- clippers
- two flyboxes
- small bonefish box w/ permit & tarpon options
- large fly assortment in other box for jacks, cuda, etc.
- tippet, leader, steel
- (handheld gps)

to be continued... work calls

FredA
02-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Got a flyer from sierra trading post. Marlwalkers on sale for $70. I think this must be a closeoutbecause they just came out with a new, lighter version. Think I'll order a pair.

jimS
02-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Juro has got a pretty good list going...

Here's my initial list as luggage. Carry-on will be breakables, cameras, passport, sunglasses and groceries. Breakables include at least one bottle of single malt.

-2 8wts & reels
-2 9 wts & reels
-1 10 wt & reels
-12-15 doz flies, size 2 thru 8. Probably include some bigger patterns for reefs.
-flats pack & chest pack
-sungloves, bandanas, sunscreen, hats & bug repellent
-rainjacket
-first aid kit
-Knife & pliers
-Leader/tippet material
-2-3 sets of clothing
-shaving kit
-Sandals & flats boots
-tide chart
-binoculars

I guess I have forgotten something, so please chime in.

jimS
02-19-2005, 07:18 AM
A few things I forgot on my list:
-GPS & compass
-Batteries
-Xtra glasses
-Money
-Flytying kit
-Xtra flylines
-A couple of books
-Notebook
-Coffee
-Condiments

Got to pack carefully with the weight restrictions.

FishHawk
03-02-2005, 05:35 PM
While I can't do this clave this year I am curious as to what you guys are taking for rods and flies? I already know what Juro will be taking. :lildevl:
Wish I could be on the trip.FishHawk. :D

n1gdo
03-02-2005, 06:38 PM
sorry you cannot make the trip...

I think the best thing to do is wait till we get back and we will report what flies worked and how much gear we needed or didnt need etc...

I am sure a full report will be given a day or so after we return and you can profit by our mistakes and hopefully successes..

Dave17
03-02-2005, 06:56 PM
FishHawk,

How are ya? Two and a half weeks to go and I'm already packed :lildevl:. I think everybody is bringing about the same for gear. As for me

4 rods:

1 8wt
2 9wts
1 8/9wt

Two reels:

Abel Super 8
Lamson Velocity 4

I think we've come to the consensus through our research that these fish shouldn't be too picky. No big surprises in my fly box:

Charlies size 4 & 6
Gotchas same
Couple crab patterns
A few Tarpon sized deceivers JIC :lildevl:
Clousers for bigger single bones.

That's about it, hopefully we'll have lots to report and some great pics when we get back :smokin:

See you on SB this summer,
Dave

juro
03-03-2005, 07:27 AM
FIshhawk -

I tried a merge thread but the discussion seems odd as a result. In any case, here is where we are at currently with the gear list discussion.

FishHawk
03-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Thanks Juro. FYI you probably know this but a friend of mine brought his reels in his carry on and they tried to take it away because the airline told him it could be used as a weapon. They are talking about using the fly line. He got the reels back but had to rush and check them in and almost missed his flight. One of the reasons I asked was because I haven't flown since 9/11. and there are many changes.
FishHawk ,you guys will have a great time. :D

FredA
03-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Two and a half weeks to go and I'm already packed

Aah, we supposed to be packing already?

A 9, 10 and maybe an 8 wgt.
Couple of reels
A few gotcha's, charlies, etc.
Tying stuff

BigDave
03-03-2005, 12:37 PM
I had no problem carrying on both my reels (with line) and 4pc rods to Belize in November. 3 flights total each direction. I did have the rods (4) in an abel rod carrier rather than the alum. tubes however.

Don't forget lens wipes or something you can clean the shades with in case you get splashed (microfiber shirts are no good for this).

Vince
03-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Hope this helps.

Tips for flying the friendly skies!

Carry on as much as you can-reels, rods, cameras, necessary medication, etc. If your checked bag doesn't make it at least you'll still have the important stuff, which may be difficult or impossible to obtain when you arrive.

Some airlines allow you to take on 3 & 4 piece rods, some don't. It is really up to the flight crew when boarding the plane. Just be prepared to check them at the gate if they don't allow you to take 'em on the plane. That means pack rods in a durable & lockable rod holder to protect them from damage & theft, and make sure the rod holder has a securely affixed ID tag.

If packing rods with checked luggage, try and split them up in different bags, or put one rod in a checked bag, and the others in your checked rod holder. That way if one gets lost, you'll still have something to fish with while you wait for the airlines to get you your stuff.

Make sure your checked luggage is easily identifiable-put unique stickers on them, or tie a bandana or colored string onto a handle. This way you can spot your bag right away, and this will also discourage theft of your bag.

BONEFISH TACKLE
*9’-10’ rods from 7 to 9 weight
*Corrosion resistant reels loaded w/floating weight forward saltwater taper fly line w/ 150+ yards of #20 backing
*extra line & backing
*Tapered 8-15lb leaders from 9’ to 12’; 8-15lb tippet material
OTHER SPECIES (barracuda, jacks, tarpon, sharks)
*9’-10’ rods in 9-10wt
*Corrosion resistant reel loaded w/ floating weight forward saltwater taper fly line w/ 200+yds of #30 backing
*Tapered 15-20lb leaders; 15-20lb tippet material; 40-100 lb shock tippet material
*wire leader material

OTHER GEAR
*Pliers for removing hooks/cutting wire
*Flies: shrimp, gotchas, crazy charlies, puffs, bonefish clousers, bonefish specials, epoxy shrimp, etc . . The bones are not too picky on Acklins. Just bring differently weighted flies for different depth situations.
*Various streamers/poppers for barracudas, sharks and jacks
*hook sharpener
*line cleaner
*nail knot tool (large paperclip)
*nippers
*Fanny pack/chest pack

CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
*Passport and photocopy (or certified copy of birth certificate + two pieces of picture id) passport preferred
*Driver’s License
*Credit cards
*Airline tickets
*Alarm clock
*Casual tropical attire for fishing & relaxing
*Shorts & long pants for fishing
*Rain jacket & pants (light shell) for rain &/or rough boat rides
*Light pullover; wool or fleece
*Wide brimmed or long-billed hat to protect neck & ears
*Wading shoes or booties
*Socks—to prevent blisters when wading. I use socks designed for riding a surf board-got them from my cousin in San Diego. They are neoprene, tight fitting & velcro around the top to seal sand out and they worked great on Acklins while wading all day.
*Sunscreen/lip balm
*sun gloves (optional)
*Polarized glasses w/ side-shields (copper, amber, or orange lenses)
*Insect repellent
*Bathing suit & snorkeling gear if desired
*Camera & film & batteries
*Small flashlight
*1st aid kit
*RX drugs
*Cash for tips, alcohol (ATM’s are hard to find)
*notebook & pen
*small binoculars
*zip lock bags & garbage bags
*leatherman tool
*Duct tape
*moisturizing lotion
*tioletries
*Important phone #’s
*Beach towel

*This list is not exhaustive. Use it as a reference point.
Have a great Trip!!!!

jimS
03-07-2005, 07:08 AM
Vince, thanks for the detailed check list. I'm still a little concerned about having reels in a carry-on bag after 9/11.

bonefishmon
03-07-2005, 07:46 AM
When checking your bags for x-ray inspection ask about carrying on the reels before you go through inspection. The rod cases MUST be nylon covered to carry on. Metal rod cases can be used as a weapon and are not allowed. If you are traveling with a friend, tape your rod cases together or you may be paying extra
to check them with baggage. Happened to us at Green airport in RI. once. We each had two bags to check and the rods were extra. Our rods were three peice and would not fit in baggage. Metal rod cases had to be checked.

Phil

JusBones
03-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Sounds great guys...wish I was going......however as kalik is not a twist off top,
one critial item was missed above.....an old fashion "church Key" bottle opener :hihi:

SteelBoneguy
03-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Just getting back from Aruba. I had no problem w/ two 8 wt reels lines fully loaded in the carry on. I hand carried my 9ft 5 pc fly rod in the soft cotton case it comes w/ no problems either. I get a window seat and put my rod right next to my thigh and they never know its there.
For multiple rod carry ons a rod holder covered in cordura like the abel one would be great. What you have could be a rolled up painting, blueprints, whatever much less likely to be harassed with that. Doesn't look like something you could beat someone with either.
Hope you guys have a trip of a lifetime. One thing I didn't see mentioned but i'm sure your doing. Practice your casting!!! Do all angles into the wind. Short casts, long casts, double haul. Pic objects as the fish and lead em. See how far and fast you can cast w/ a mininum false casting. Get those muscles and joints ready for a day of pounding the fish!

Dave17
03-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Does anybody have any recommendations for phone contact with the States? I'll have to check in a couple of times and I'm guessing that cell phones are out. Is there an international prepaid calling card that anyone recommends?

Thanks,
Dave

bonehead
03-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Hey fellow bonefishers,

I've been following your plans for this trip with interest. I've done a few DIY bonefishing trips myself lately and look forward to seeing how this one turns out. Sounds like you've got the most important thing right: location, location, location!

I couldn't help but notice that several luggage lists mention packing reels. Take my advice and don't. I travel a lot and always carry on my reels, lines, leaders, and whatever rods I can. (At least one.) I also carry on my fly boxes after removing all my flies and packing them in a cheap plastic case or baggies. This way when I get there I'm sure to have almost everything I need to fish, even if my luggage is lost somewhere in the twilight zone.

Another thing I've found helpful is to fill a big ziplock bag with the basic fly tying materials for the flies I think I'll need most. (In the Bahamas this means Gotchas, Tan Yarn Crabs, Clousers and Charlies.) The only thing we globe-trotting anglers cannot take with us in this post 9-11 world is hooks (although exactly how one hijacks a 747 with a #8 barbless Crazy Charlie has never been made clear), but you can almost always find some hooks at your destination if your main luggage gets lost. Besides, having a fly-tying setup gives you something to do in the evenings and adds another element of angling fun to the whole trip, as well s being a lifesaver if you run out of a hot pattern in a particular size or weight.

Well, good luck and tight lines. Wish you all the best on what should be a great adventure.

Dave17
03-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Bonehead,

Great posts today on a couple different threads :smokin:, I enjoyed reading them. Have you been to Acklins? Just wondering if there is any info on the lay of the land that you could pass along?

juro
03-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Does anybody have any recommendations for phone contact with the States? I'll have to check in a couple of times and I'm guessing that cell phones are out. Is there an international prepaid calling card that anyone recommends?

Thanks,
Dave

batelco sells cards, definitely the way to go

bonehead
03-08-2005, 11:18 PM
No, I have not been to Acklins, sorry. Wish I could help. I've fished in the Exumas with good results and Eleuthera with less. The sheer size of the flats system in the former make it a great place to find bones in good numbers, and I caught fish every day right outside the little cottage we rented on the beach... including a few 5+ pounders. I also saw a pair of HUGE bones cruising the edge of deeper water, but of course they were well upwind and moving fast.

Acklins sounds perfect, though: lots of flats, friendly locals, and little pressure. I imagine the bones there being very aggressive to a fly and likely numerous as well. Of course, if it is anything like the rest of the Bahamas you'll want to pay real close attention to the tides with early incoming and last outgoing being the best.

teflon_jones
03-09-2005, 01:55 PM
HThe only thing we globe-trotting anglers cannot take with us in this post 9-11 world is hooks.

I went to the Bahamas in December and had two fly boxes with almost 100 flies in them, plus a small plastic box with spinning lures in it (Rapalas, jig heads, plain hooks, and more). I didn't have any trouble. I went from Boston to Miami to Nassau. But I've heard of a few people that have had problems. So you never know!

Bob Pauli
03-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Bring a book.

Mattb
03-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Not sure when you guys are leaving, but in case you're still packing:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a small pack hatchet or machete. You really only need one for the party, but it's nice to be able to crack into the occasional coconut without someone getting injured. :)

Capt. Mel Simpson
03-16-2005, 07:57 PM
And a roll of TP, for when you get the sh*ts out on the flats, from drinking all that cheap beer the night before! :chuckle: